Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 
BalthySaurus

Question Should I use my heater or not?

So Balthazar's water temp is currently at 74 degrees F, and I'm not sure if I should use my heater because it says on the package it could raise the temp by 6-10 degrees and I think that my be too warm, and especially since he's in such a small tank right now (3 litres, but I'm waiting on a 5 gallon tank that I ordered in at the pet store), I feel like the temperature would rise pretty quickly and get too warm so...
Any advice?
BalthySaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 
Skuldane

No harm in putting it in and seeing, just monitor it.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 
BettaPrincess13

+1 to Skuldane

I would put it in and monitor it (: if it gets to warm then I would stop using it until the larger tank comes in. the warmest Ive had my betta is in 86 degree water while he was fighting off gill flukes and he was fine. but normally his water is between 82 and 84 degrees. any lower and he becomes lethargic. but definitely try to the heater. without it the temp might drop to low and 74 is pretty low for what bettas should be in (78 to 84 degrees F) so best to use it and monitor it and maybe if it gets to hot turn it off and on when needed just to keep his water temperature in a comfortable spot for your fish until his bigger tank comes in (: but I think it should be fine if it heats say 10 degrees it would be at 84 and maybe since the tank is smaller it could be a little higher say 86 so it shouldn't boil your fish but just keep an eye on it
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 
BalthySaurus

Okay, I'll put the heater in. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
Skuldane

Anytime =D
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Actually it's better to keep them at lower temps. 76-80. One my first bettas Nano used to be at 83-85 with a thermometer that didn't have a controller. Some people told me that it wasn't a good idea (others said it was ok) It speeds up their metabolism and makes them more prone to illness. Nano is no longer with me he got sick. Lower temps discourage bacterial growth and illness. I invested in adjustable thermometers and I keep the tanks around 78 to 79. I found some adjustable ones on ebay for $6.00 or a little more if you search you will probably find them.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 09-19-2013 at 11:48 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

I agree, I believe it's better to be cooler than warmer. There is this obsession with keeping fish at the top of their temp range and I don't get it. I think most people keep their tanks too warm. Are fish more active in warmer water? You bet they are - you should see the pictus cats I have in quarantine at 88 degrees - it's like they are turbocharged. Is it a GOOD thing to have the fish be so active? No not in the long run. Once the heat treatment is over the heater will be unplugged. Now pictus are naturally crazy - bettas aren't. Bettas are naturally quite sedate by comparison. My point is that more active does not necessarily mean better. Is it better for US? Yeah sure - who doesn't like active fish.... But a lot of the "tropical" fish in the trade don't require such warm water as people like to keep them in.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 
Skuldane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Actually it's better to keep them at lower temps. 76-80. One my first bettas Nano used to be at 83-85 with a thermometer that didn't have a controller. Some people told me that it wasn't a good idea (others said it was ok) It speeds up their metabolism and makes them more prone to illness. Nano is no longer with me he got sick. Lower temps discourage bacterial growth and illness. I invested in adjustable thermometers and I keep the tanks around 78 to 79. I found some adjustable ones on ebay for $6.00 or a little more if you search you will probably find them.

Can you link the thermometer? Or PM me the link please
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

I have not tried these yet but I was letting you know the deal exists. Some members bought them after I posted about them and are happy so far. The thing that I gather is imporatant about these heaters is not to make sudden temperature changes and to let the heater cool gradually.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...om=R40&afsrc=1
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 
BalthySaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I agree, I believe it's better to be cooler than warmer. There is this obsession with keeping fish at the top of their temp range and I don't get it. I think most people keep their tanks too warm. Are fish more active in warmer water? You bet they are - you should see the pictus cats I have in quarantine at 88 degrees - it's like they are turbocharged. Is it a GOOD thing to have the fish be so active? No not in the long run. Once the heat treatment is over the heater will be unplugged. Now pictus are naturally crazy - bettas aren't. Bettas are naturally quite sedate by comparison. My point is that more active does not necessarily mean better. Is it better for US? Yeah sure - who doesn't like active fish.... But a lot of the "tropical" fish in the trade don't require such warm water as people like to keep them in.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't get a chance to respond to this last night because I had to sleep, but I ended up not putting my heater in the tank after I read this because
1) It's a bottom heater that sits under the gravel and would have been a pain in the ass to do it when I was that tired.
2) Balthazar seems really active in 74... And I understand what you're saying about a fish being too active in the long run.

I do feel like 74 might be a little too cold, I'd be much happier with a happy medium I guess, so I ended up buying one of those heaters jadaBlu linked. Perhaps with an adjustable one that's easier to use will be more help. Although I'm a little miffed I spent $20 on the bottom one... and now I'm probably never going to use it. I don't think I can return it, either. Oh well, I'll try find a home for it I guess.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and advice!

Tags
care, water temperature