Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Males have longer fins and females have a white egg spot on their bellies.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #12 
RoseyD

(I'm not so scientific.) The girls are sold in cups that say 'betta girl' on the top... ;)

I posted a Craigslist ad today to get rid of that dwarf gourami, and the 2 serpae tetra. If I can find them good homes...

I'm going to put Topaz in the 12 gal .

Topaz needs her rest now - and is in solitary confinement - the 2 gallon tank - to heal after I noticed that she got really badly nipped and shredded while in the community tank.

They'd been behaving so well, and last week I changed the dynamic - by moving the cories out, and the otos in...

And added those 3 other little girls...

I guess it was too much for my bettas - because one or more of them tormented Topaz. And, I found the sole remaining un-named girl dead on Sunday ... her tummy ripped out.

*SIGH!*

So Topaz is now removed - and, the rest of the tank is on watch duty. I may move the two youngest out of there and put them in the 12 with Topaz...

I may add the neons to the 12 gal. - or not - depending on how many bettas will be in the tank with Topaz. None of the neons or cardinals - have attempted to nip at my king betta while in the 'big tank' - so if they are alone in the smaller tank with a betta - I'd hope for similar good luck with them.

One betta with 9 lil tetras wouldn't be a bad mix. Nor would 3 bettas alone, either... So I have a lot to think about.

I guess, I was too quick to consider that my 20 gallon was easy-peasy, 100 percent happy home... It worked well with 5 bettas 3 cories, but it evidently did not - with 8 bettas and 3 otos.

The bio-load on that tank was maxed with the 8/3 mix. - I could add a few fish to a 6/3 mix - but not the neons - without considering to break up their school. Although, if I were taking out the 2 mini girls - it would be a 4/3 mix - on the 20 gallon, and perhaps I could add the whole 9 tetra school to their tank ...

There's lots of potential for that blend - and 3 betta girls in the 12 gallon would be pretty sweet. :)
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #13 
RoseyD

Well, a lot has happened since the last time I posted on this thread.

Last week, a day or so after I removed her - topaz died.

this past weekend I added a new filter to the tank, and a few days later 2 more fish died (Baby and Sapphire). - I did a write up of this on the sick/emergency forum.

Yesterday, after seeing Sapphire dead on the bottom of the 20 gallon tank, I decided that there had to be something going wrong with my tank that was really hurting my bettas so I removed the last remaining four so that I could address what was making my fish sick.

I got some advice that it could be linked to my filter - so I went home last night and took apart the new filter, and squeezed out the sponges, and re-rinsed the matrix in about 5 gallons worth of the tank's water.

I cleaned out the second (first filter that was still running on the tank) - the duetto 100 - and then added new dechlorinated water to the tank. I brought my four bettas back from their holding areas - and, resettled them in the tank. They still have the stress marks and I'm still worried about them all - but, I hope that the 2 days of '25%' water changes and the filter cleanings will be enough to take what was bothering them ... out of the tank. (fingers crossed!)

I have to admit I'm still worried about them - I got up this morning, and first thing (pre-coffee) was to go do a headcount to make sure all were alive and well. I know that the new filter is the biggest change on the tank - and I'd like to have the 'increased' filtering capability. The duetto's is really 'too weak' to handle the 20 gallon -high mulm content of this fresh planted aquarium.

My poor babies. I hope they'll bounce back soon...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Baby and Sapphire!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #15 
Vikki81207

I'm so sorry!
Is the tank cycled?
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #16 
RoseyD

yes, it only had a tiny cycle - since it's a fully planted tank. (It's becoming an underwater jungle). the nice thing about all those plants is that they need the fish 'fertilizer' - my tank is very nutrient heavy and I have an ongoing algae problem which the otos are forever working on - but once my plants grow in more - the algae will dissapate too.

I tested the chemistry on the water several times this week,and everything reads zero. With all the partial water changes I did, after the first betta death (30%), followed by the next night's need for tank water to wash out the filter medias(25%). Followed by last night, I did a 15% change to do some further siphoning of the tank bottom ... there's not even nitrates showing.

I had to remove Pearl again this morning. As a cellophane, it's hard to know if it's just stress - or if there's something wrong with her - I noticed that she has some black micro dots on the sides of some of her scales. She's seemed to be doing a lot of hiding in the 20 g tank near the bottom. In the fish bowl - she's swimming at the top - and I think she's not upset to be in the '2 gallon bowl' and needs some alone time... Or it could be that she's noticing Lovely Sir Lancelot in the bowl next to her. It was too cold to be in the small planted tank, last night, and he wasn't his happy bubbly self last night - so I decided to move him into the warmer side of the apartment.

I do believe I will have to find my Lancelot a larger heated tank soon. In the next few weeks - I'm hoping to find something on Craigslist or a good sale so that I can give him more room and a decent heater before winter settles in.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #17 
RoseyD

Well, my pearl doesn't seem to be complaining, for all that she's in a bowl 10 times smaller than what she'd had... she's sharing the top of my linen cabinet with another bowl with Lancelot inside... And, he's really liking what he sees in that other bowl.

:) Now, I'm not planning to breed them but having male and female close together is putting them both on their best behavior.

I took Ruby out of the big tank and she's now in lancelot's old 2.5 gallon planted all by her lonesome - but in easy view of Sir Gawain. It's really interesting to see how Gawain's response is much different to Ruby. He flares his lovely fins - yes. But then, he also puffs out his gills - Now he had a similar behavior when he was in view of Lancelot - so I always took that to be pure aggression. Am I right?

Fin flare good, gill flare bad?

So, since his gills are doing that... I put a white paper up between the two tanks so that they can't see each other (same as I did when Lancelot was there). There's no point in riling the boy up for no reason...

Ruby definitely needed a break from the current in the big tank. I'm in a shopping search for a spray bar to reduce the current capacity coming out of the outtake tube - it's too intense for the big girls. My li'l crowntails aqua and blue aren't complaining - but, it sure was bothering Pearl and Ruby. And after losing Sapphire and Baby - I don't want to risk any more of my girls when all I require is a fix for the high current.

In all the calling around I've done - none of the pet shops in my town carry spray bars though. I'm really frustrated that I won't be able to fix the tank quickly. And I've been looking around online to try to find out which spraybar will match my filter.

If any of you have experience with spray bars and the enheim ecco filters. (my model is the 2232) - what did you end up ordering?

My 20 gallon has been taken over by a whole host of other fish so that I don't lose my cycle. There now are 2 l'il crowntails, 1 adult male flame gourami, 3 cories, 3 otos (munching on zuccini), and 7 neon tetra. - what a crowd!

I don't think the flame is going to be a long term resident. He's not actively chasing the bettas, but if he corners them, he does nip. He's beautiful but really a big meanie. Such a shame, because his unique colors/look really adds to the tank mixed between all the green foliage and floaters.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #18 
5green

very pretty fish
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #19 
loppy656

you should clean the hole tank and acsesares and things thay stay in for cleanig with hot water and let them soke for a mint or two that might help get rid of what they don't like
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote