Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
phoenix2013

Planting dwarf high grass question

So I purchased some dwarf high grass from Petsmart about a week ago. It came as a 4 inch long by like 1 inch wide strip of grass with completely tangled roots. When I placed it in the tank it tried to float so I put in something to help hold it down. It's been about a week and it seems to be happy enough but not rooted into my sand cap so it can get to the soil. I looked around and found people saying that you should pull it apart and plant smaller bits but I'm afraid that that will weaken them. Should I get some large rocks to put around it to help hold it down better and let it root itself through the substrate? Should I pull it apart? What should I do?
phoenix2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

I have been known to tie stubborn plants to pieces of driftwood, rocks, broken pieces of terracotta pots -- pretty much anything with some weight and surface area that can be pushed under or buried under gravel or sand. You can plant as it is, and let it naturally spread out, or you can pull it apart. Pulling it apart now can help you fill your tank a bit better, and you won't have to uproot it to separate it as soon as you would if you just planted it as-is. You can use sewing thred (non-metallic) or preferably fishing line to tie the bundles to whatever weight you choose. Hope that helps.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 
registereduser

I just bought 4 small plugs of "dwarf hair grass" eleocharis acicularis in a package from Petco. Will it grow if I tie it to a rough piece of mopani wood I have had for a year?

Last edited by registereduser; 09-19-2013 at 09:11 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #4 
TakingthePlunge

Dwarf high grass loves fertilizers. They send out runner, just like regular grass on your lawn does. If you tie it to wood, the roots still have to be buried, otherwise you end up with dead plants.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #5 
phoenix2013

I ended up pulling it apart into small pieces and used tweezers to plant it. So far it still seems to be alive.
phoenix2013 is offline   Reply With Quote