Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #21 
veggiegirl

karenluvsbettas623, agreed! all Jodi's fish are Thailand imports from show breeders. Sure they haven't all got perfect form but they certainly aren't 'pet shop fish'.

Also the question was whether the fish was show quality not is my fish pretty so technically it does belong here. The person asking the question may have been planning to show in the future so they wanted to buy some show quality fish to breed therefore they wanted to know whether this pair would be suitable.

Last edited by veggiegirl; 09-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #22 
Basement Bettas

Most of what is sold on AB is not show quality and are mutts. Horrible form faults and it is rare the colors meet minimum standards let alone the high one. And we will just leave it at that. You want a show quality fish for breeding then you need to join the IBC and see the standard you will have to meet. The you make your choice and progress to a goal. Most people have a knee jerk reaction to a *pretty* fish with no thought as to what they want to accomplish with the breeding. And that is fine. You just will not have show quality fish.

Dumbos have a standard that is being tried. A serious breeder does not breed to sell but meet a standard. Having a commercial fish is really no interest. That is for the breeders on AB. the next crazy cross to get people to spend money. It is up to the buyer to be educated.

And if you want a serious evaluation then you need to have a photo like you see on AB. I have seen thousands of fish and can assume much on that fish. But it does no one any good because they can not *see* what I do. You want educated.. then present the fish properly. And you need to state the purpose of the fish beyond he is pretty or is he show quality. Like trying to breed quality bi-colors. Then a person knows you are serious about the question and it is with the time to evaluate.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Basement Bettas has a point. It's really not fair to get a petstore fish and put it up against IBC show standards.And this section is really meant for the discussion of shows and show quality fish.Those of us with pet bettas should just enjoy them and not worry if they have the right finnage, topline or whatever.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #24 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Please remember to use the report button when you have a problem with another member being rude or on the edge of being rude. This member had a question simply put answer it as best as you can and move on and respect others or just report the thread so the moderators can decide together where it belongs in case the sticky is unclear or you have trouble understanding it. Thanks for your help and understanding I appreciate it !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #25 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Basement Bettas has a point. It's really not fair to get a petstore fish and put it up against IBC show standards.
Their fish isn't a pet store fish, btw. Just sayin.
shannonpwns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you realized you have posted in the wrong section, simply click the report button and request to have your thread moved to a more suitable section. name calling is not permitted on this forum.

The OP's fish is certainly beautiful, unfortunately, there are many beautiful bettas out there that do not meet IBC show standards. Whether it is a pet store or aquabid, all domestic betta fish comes from breeders, however not all breeders are set out to breed show quality fish for IBC conventions. Some breeders breed for profit and others for a specific trait they favor, and that is quite OK, For the most part beauty is determined by the eye of the beholder.

If you are really interested in breeding show quality bettafish, it's a good idea to start out in the breeding section and by asking questions about form, colors genes and especially breeding. Joining the IBC will also gain you access to great information on showing bettas and ideals for betta form and finnage.

This show section is intended to be a highly specialized section for people who have fish bred to IBC show standards. Consequently, in order to get professional feed back and critique, the quality of posting and photography is expected to be much higher than the rest of our forum. So, I can certainly see where Basement Betta's frustration is coming from. A simple google search can take you to some basic guide on IBC forms and give a good idea on proper ways to photograph bettas for critiques.

Last edited by ao; 09-29-2013 at 09:59 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #27 
Riverotter

LLoyd, in my admittedly inexperienced opinion, your fish has the dorsal that many show breeders strive for and the break in color is very clean, which is needed when showing bi-colors. The color itself is stunning. The fish seems to have a very good top line and a nicely proportionate body, depth to length.

You can't tell more than that without a profile picture in full flare, but I would certainly think that that fish would be a good start for a breeding program of show quality bi-colors, and probably nicer than many people start with. It is certainly a much nicer fish than any other long finned EE I have seen.

Good luck in your breeding.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #28 
karenluvsbettas623

This was a legitimate question that belongs in this section. It all started with someone making an ASSUMPTION that the OP intended to buy a fish to show, and not raise their own fry. The question was whether the fish was show quality, it was a legit question. The OP never took ofense to the fact that his fish was not "show quality". Many breeders start wit non-show quality fish who have a trait they like, and then they breed towards improving, the EE trait is still not very well developed in long- finned bettas therefore, it counts as a legitimate question.

If you really want only "show quality" fish to be posted here, then you need to be specific in your sticky. Put "only show quality fish here, that meet ibc standards, if you do not know what the ibc standards are, then you probably shouldn't be posting here" but since it doesn't say that, people shouldn't be nailed against the wall, not for how their fish look, but for even asking the question.

We all know basement bettas is good at what she does, trust me, we know, i know, i follow her fb page, there is no doubt there. If she feels like a question is not worth her time answering, then she should simply abstain from answering it.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

I believe that the sticky does need updating to be more specific :/
As for the question, it was certainly legitimate. However from my limited experience in betta breeding and selection, the photography doesn't give much to work off. That would be my personal opinion on this issue.
I would love to see Basement Betta's fish sometime :) I don't frequent this section so i've never actually heard of her~
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #30 
Mo

Yeah, basement Bettas is a really good breeder who's bred a lot of great fish and BOC, BOS and RBOS fish... Apparently she's done all of that, those seem like really good credentials, lol.... I wish I was ranked that high and had fish like hers.. I hope I get there one day..

And for the thread. I promised myself I wouldn't get into conversations like this so I'm going to seal my mouth shut.. Lol but I disagree with a lot that has been said and also agree with a lot of it

Regular contributor to Flare!
Co-Founder BettaSource
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote