Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #1 
Sorineh

Talking Water Changes

Recently, I have done a lot of research on Betta Sororities and I am thinking of starting one. (I'm just worried about the high failure rate) But i have just one more question before making my final decision.

I am going to have 9 Bettas in a 15 gallon tank and I am wondering how often I should change the water since the tank will have such a heavy fish load? Its not cycled yet, but I think I probably will.

So what does the community think how much water should be changed weekly for a cycled and non-cycled tank?

Thanks for any comments.
Sorineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #2 
Elena

I am new to bettas, but I have been running a 30 gal tropical community tank for about five years altogether. I think with such a high fish load you need to have a filter. Things can go wrong very fast in an unfiltered tank with 9 fish. If you choose not to cycle, you probably will want to keep it bare bottom to make water changes easier. I would do a 100% change once a week at least. What do other people think? I don't have experience with larger unfiltered tanks.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #3 
Sorineh

Sorry, i guess i should have said that i have a Tetra internal whisper power filter for the tank.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #4 
Sparky

9 female bettas in a 15 gal tank??? Not fair to the fish in my opinion .....sorry if I seem to harsh here
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #5 
Sorineh

I know it doesn't, but overcrowding the tank will decrease the amount of aggression between the fish. Its either that or buying a huge tank with the same amount of fish. Like I said, i've done my research.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #6 
Crowntail Queen

I have to agree with sparky. I'm not sure who told you that overcrowding a tank will decrease the amount of aggression in it but they were lying, you will just eventually end up with a lot of dead bettas :( There are a lot of false things out there and that one is def. false. If i were you i'd either get a larger tank, or less fish. Female bettas can get real aggressive just like males(maybe not as bad tho)
Crowntail Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you could cut it down to 6 and be just fine. If the tank were a little bigger then there wouldn't be a problem. I think you'll do fine with 6. Just make sure that there are plenty of hiding places and watch them very carefully. You might want to do this when you are going to be home to monitor them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #8 
Sorineh

You guys are just going to have to trust me in this. I told you I did my research and if it doesn't work out I will be prepared to deal with it.

But back to my question, does anyone have any suggestions?

Crowntail Queen: I have heard countless stories of sororities working better with lots of cover and over crowding.

Dramaqueen: I might cut it down to 7 if I don't find many bettas that I like, but you always want an odd number of fish so that two females aren't constantly fighting for the alpha spot.

But thanks for the concern from both of you and I'm not trying to be rude or cocky on this.

Last edited by Sorineh; 08-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #9 
5green

ok good luck =)
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #10 
Sorineh

Thanks.