Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #1 
FrankieFish

Ok pros, Frankie needs help! :)

Hey guys,

About a week ago my fish Frankie was floating at the top of his tank, so I checked out this forum and found out it could be a Swim Bladder infection. Then I fed it a pea and a few hours later he was doing fine. I also read that I should fast him for a few days, so I waited about 3 days and then fed him again. About 10 min later, he was floating back at the top again!!

I fed him another pea and then he was ok. Also, two days ago I cleaned his tank because it was really dirty from after he ate the pea.

So now I'm here to ask you guys what I should do next because I don't want him to go through that again. I read that I should change up his food, so I just went out and bough him the pellets. What should I do? Feed him now? He looks really hungry, it's been 3 days since the 2nd pea.

Thanks for your help. I know you guys are online a lot so I'll wait for a reply.
FrankieFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I would recommend feeding him some daphnia instead of peas. Peas can cause digestive problems. Daphnia is more healthy for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I agree with drama.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

Yep. Peas are said to be no good for bettas because they're carnivorous. They need the daphnia. Fast him for another few days or so, then feed him some daphnia.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #5 
FrankieFish

I thought that the point of feeding him a pea or daphnia is to clear him out, at this point he is looking very thin! The past few days he was just sitting at the bottom of his tank, not moving very much, just coming up for air once and a while. Now, he's always at the top, going to the corners of the tank and blowing bubbles, and trying to eat them (that's what it looks like).

I have no problem feeding him daphnia, but am I going to have to fast him after that? If the pea did work, I don't want to have to put him through that again. Thanks for your help,
Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #6 
neenjar

The point is to clear them out, but peas are non digestible by a betta and can cause damage to the digestive tract. They get no nutrition from it, and it may tear their insides up.

Daphnia is much better for them. I would fast before feeding the daphnia, unless he has been fasted, then start feeding it now.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #7 
FrankieFish

He's been fasting for days now, he is looking sick and is just waiting at the top. I just called 2 different pet stores in my area and they don't have daphnia. I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm afraid that if I don't feed him he'll die, and I'm afraid if I do feed him, he might float back at the top again.

If the point is to clear him out, I think that's what happened when he ate the pea. Are you guys suggesting clearing him out again? I'd love too but I can't find this daphnia stuff.

Are there alternatives? Thanks again,
Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

If he's very thin then I think he needs to be fed. Try some bloodworms or brine shrimp. You can use frozen or freeze dried.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #9 
dr2b

I agree with drama. And maybe while feeding him the freezedried stuff try ordering daphnia online.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #10 
rb500

Yes, feed him now, and don't freak out if he floats again. Everytime he floats don't feed again. maybe feed for a day, then fast, then feed until you get the daphina.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote