Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #1 
amycatttt

Exclamation Take a look!! velvet??

Hey guys! Please take a look at my betta Anakin! I'm so worried about him! I'm getting even more worried about him now that I'm reading and learning about all these diseases! I've come to conclude it looks like my fishy has velvet!! Do you experts out there think so too? I'm worried about his fins too, they look so tattered. What is wrong with them? Perhaps I should just bring him into petco? Please help, Anakin is like the light of my life! I've had him for about 11 months now. I want him to live forever! I moved out to Hawaii and Anakin was my first friend out here. We've been through a lot and I've even found him on the ground at one point because he jumped out of his tank! Thank goodness I found him in time and rescued him, but it was such a close call. I was a mess when it happened and i can't imagine losing him anytime soon, but i worry about it all the time. He is so gorgeous and has such a great personality! I just want to give him the best life possible! I just started getting into depth about betta care and I went out and bought him a new 2.5 gallon tank that I'm cycling right now. I'm gonna add him to it tomorrow (48 hours after I filled it up) If he's sick i want to heal him, so should i add anything to the new tank before I put him in?
Attached Images

amycatttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #2 
Skuldane

My Betta merlin currently has velvet, not sure it looked like that, but the flash on your camera/phone makes it difficult to tell. So he never had those colors before? Because I think it looks like part of his coloring and I have heard of betta changing colors or rather color show up later on. Is he glass surfing or scraping against the gravel or decoration? Imagine it as chiggers and wanting to itch it, your betta will try and do the same. If it is velvet it is very treatable. I used Sentry Mardel copper safe myself. Some with disagree with its use and suggest an actual chemical itself, i cant remember which. But my betta is doing fine after using it, or rather doing better =D
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #3 
Skuldane

Dose your tank with the correct amount of aquarium salt for its gallons and bump temp up to 82 degrees. It's the best safest first step to treating anything and will help kill the parasites.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #4 
Skuldane

Sorry for third post, but here is a great example of velvet, this is exactly how it looked on my betta, I don't think your betta looks like that, but seeing as how you can examine him in person take a look.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #5 
amycatttt

Oh don't be sorry all the information is much appreciated!! I'm not 100% sure if its velvet, but if I treat him for it will it mess him up? I was thinking about putting the aquarium salt in just to be sure, so should I add that to his new tank before i add him or would I do that when he's already in there? Im sorry for all the questions, I'm such a newb!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #6 
Skuldane

I honestly don't think it will hurt him. I dosed my tank with aquarium salt immediately and then went to petco to get the medicine. Leave him out of your new tank, if he does have velvet it is highly contagious. How big is his current tank? Smaller is better when treating sickness, most people call it a quarantine tank or a hospital tank.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #7 
Skuldane

You never answered about him surfing along the glass or the gravel.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #8 
amycatttt

His current tank is a one gallon tank (i know so small!) I guess i'll keep him in there while I treat him. How long does it usually take for them to recover from velvet? Before I treat the tank should I change the water and add the conditioner?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #9 
Skuldane

Yeah go ahead. How big is his new tank? Velvet can be awhile, I cant say for sure but a couple weeks to fully clear up I believe.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #10 
fidget

Make sure you dissolve the salt in the water before you put him in the tank. Undissolved salt can burn him.
fidget is online now   Reply With Quote