Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #11 
amycatttt

his new tank is the fluval spec which is 2.5 gallons! I'm really excited for him to have a new house and I just want him to enjoy it already :( but he needs to heal up first. okay sounds good! thank you so much!!
amycatttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #12 
amycatttt

okay i'll dissolve it first.. I really hope this helps him. He is such a great fish
Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #13 
amycatttt

Hey you guys so I went into Petco yesterday and they said Anakin looked fine. I bought the aquarium salt and did more research and I read that the salt might hurt him or he might react bad. So I just figured I would put him in the new tank so he would be in clean ammonia free water. He freaked out at first and now a few hours later he's becoming so still at once and then when i get his attention he jets around in freak out mode. I have no idea what's wrong with him and it's breaking my heart that I did this to him! I though he'd like his new tank but it seems like it's making him sicker! He couldn't handle the current of the filter even on the lowest speed so I turned it off not knowing what else to do. Should I put him back in his old tank? I feel like that would just make things even worse. I cleaned his old tank out and added new water just in case. I feel so bad. I don't know what to do
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #14 
sunlight

He look fine to me too. I really think its the part of his coloration. If he would have a velvet he will develop more symptoms like clamped fins, he might dart around , he might scratch the body on objects. So watch for the symptoms. But so far he looks fine. Never treat fish with anything untill you know he has it. Salt is good for the treatment but still you don't want to stress him out with any treatment. Btw he was leaving 11 month in uncycled tank so i would recommend to keep his 2.5 gall tank uncycled without filter. Do not change anything in his care really. He is happy for 11 month continue do what you was doing. Almost all my tanks are 2.5 gall without filters and my fish live long. Do 2-50 and 1-100% water changes a week or you can do what i do one full 100% water change every 5 days.
The food is very important. Some food has a lot of feelings and not good for them. What food are you using?
Make sure you always acclimate your betta slowly to the new water so you don't stress him out.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #15 
Skuldane

Well that's good to hear. I figured it looked like coloration. Can I see pics of tank? You can get a smaller filter or you can clamp the hose to reduce pressure and make the filter run slower.

Salt is a debatable thing, general consensus is not to use it unless treating something.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #16 
amycatttt

pictures

he looks so unhappy! He isn't eating as well and it seems like it is very difficult for him to swim such far lengths compared to what he was swimming before. Will he get stronger? how long does it take betta to get used to a new tank?
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #17 
Skuldane

Let me know if he uses that leaf hammock, been considering getting one. If he was used to such a small tank for an extended period of time then yes he will need time to adjust. It's not terribly huge so he shouldn't blow out his fins. Actually just leave your filter off for a few weeks until he adjust. Then turn it on.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #18 
Skuldane

Oh and for the eating, some betta need time to adjust before they gain their appetite back. They can go weeks without eating. Don't worry too much.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #19 
amycatttt

okay so i should leave him in the new tank and not go back to the old one? he is still darting around which is scaring me. what would blown out fins look like? im gonna leave the filter off but should i remove the filter media like the carbon?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #20 
Skuldane

Just take the whole filter out. My opinion is to leave him in, moving him again will just cause more stress. My best recommendation at this point is going to petco or something and getting a small cave or something for him to hide in. It helps with their stress a lot. They need to be able to hide. It doesn't have to be a decoration of you don't have money. A tiny garden pot would do the trick. Just make sure whatever you use is rinsed thoroughly and not made of any metal or material that is going to put off chemicals in the tank.