Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 
fawx

getting paid saturday, buying small tank.

http://www.petco.com/product/114820/...t=OnSiteSearch

This tank has had pretty great reviews and looks good, with a heater and pantyhose to tone down the filter.

This would be a good tank for a baby betta, right? I'm planning on buying a "betta baby". I'll buy small food, that's not my concern, just the tank itself.

I've got gravel, I'd pick up some more live plants, so, it'll be home-y. lol
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 
marshallsea

Your baby is going to grow and that looks like a very small tank. You can get a 5g or a 10g for not much more than that little one. Your fish will be happier and healthier in a bigger tank. Think of it like this- the tank is your fishes toilet and the bigger it is, the less harmful the water is.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
sainthogan

There is a very generic rule about fish and tanks (and I do mean generic, because obviously, it does not apply to all fish) that indicates that you should have an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 1 gallon of water per inch of fish (again - this is very general, obviously a 10-inch fish isn't going to fit well in a 10 gallon tank). That being said, most Betta fish get to be 2.5 inches, so if you follow this rule, you would need a minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank when he gets bigger.
However, you can make a 1 gallon work if you clean it often enough. A filter in that size tank can be a bit overwhelming for a Betta, so, you would probably be better off without it. You should clean a 1 gallon tank a minimum of 3 times a week with one of those being a 100% water change if you don't use the filter or have live plants (if planted heavily enough, live plants can replace the need for a filter).
Here is a helpful link from this forum that talks about how many water changes you should do based on your tank size and whether or not it has a filter or not. As you will see, the bigger the tank, the less water changes you will need to do. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote