Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #101 
blufish425

Yep, that's the Clout. If you do decide to use the Clout, I would not use anything else with it, you would have to stop the Kanaplex for awhile. Clout is just too strong of a medication. All of these medications have different active ingredients, some people have the best luck with one kind, some with another. I felt like I was guessing and checking the entire time I was trying to get rid of the flukes :/
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #102 
BettaPrincess13

I feel the same :/ he's gone through so many medications and no luck with riding of these flukes. I was thinking of stopping Kanaplex and General Cure and do daily water changes for a week or so and then add in Clout. Since its strong I wanted to wait a while and let his system take a break before using it since he's been through so many meds already.

how many times did you have to does clout?
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #103 
blufish425

They say 1 treatment should be effective, but I think in the case of gill flukes, and the fact that they are only killable in certain life stages it takes longer. I treated for like a week. Giving them a break in the middle because they looked pale and unhappy. So I would do it like this;

Day 1-medicate
Day 2- No water change, no additional medicine
Day 3- 100% water change + Medication
Day 4- No water change, no additional medicine

If he is still scratching at this point, give him a day off from medication, and then repeat.

While you are waiting for the Clout to come, I would suggest doing the salt dips every time you change his water. AQ salt can be effective in killing parasites, as well as bacteria (which is causing his pop eye.)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #104 
ANHEL123

didn't see the answer;)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #105 
BettaPrincess13

I just ordered the Clout, should I stop General Cure and Kanaplex immediately until the clout comes in and just do daily water changes?

Directions for use: It is recommended to treat infected fish in a separate isolation tank. Remove carbon from the filter but do not discontinue filtration. Take a disposable cup and half fill with aquarium water. Dissolve one tablet for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. Disperse the medication throughout the treatment aquarium. One treatment should be adequate. If parasites or symptoms are still present 24 hours after initial treatment, change 25% of the water and treat again. Replace filter carbon 24 hours after final treatment. If fish show signs of stress during treatment, change 50-75% of the water immediately. Store at room temperature.

so I should start up the filter? its currently off and I really don't want to have to make a baffle the filter...

since he's in a 5.5 gal tank I should just break the tablet in half and then mix in a cup then pour in correct?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 10-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #106 
BettaPrincess13

the pop-eye came back despite all the meds and he's reverting back to how he was at the beginning. so I'm going to stop current medications and wait for clout.

for the pop-eye you all said salt dips? with what salt and how exactly do salt dips work?

for now Im just going to give him clean water
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #107 
blufish425

Aquarium salt is effective against both parasites and bacteria. A salt dip is a safer alternative to adding salt right into his water. I personally believe the salt dips did wonders for my fish when they had gill flukes.

Use a spare bucket or container, and do 3tsp Aquarium salt to 1 gallon of water. Leave him in there about 30 minutes, keep an eye on him, if he starts tilting sideways and losing his buoyancy he needs to come out ( I never had that happen though.)

When I was doing daily water changes I did the salt dip every day, while I cleaned their QT tanks.

Edit: Make sure all of the salt is dissolved before you put him in (you might have to stir it up). Make sure you add water conditioner into the salt dip water, make sure its the right temp, etc. Also, acclimate him slowly. I would get him in a cup from his tank, add a bit of the salt dip water into the cup, let him acclimate to that, and then just pour him into the salt dip bucket. When you are done get him in a cup again, and pour him back into his tank.

Last edited by blufish425; 10-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #108 
BettaPrincess13

should I start doing salt dips tomorrow while clout is coming? or should I wait to do it after the clout treatment? since its a strong medication should I let him take a break from treatments until then? or is it ok to do salt and then clout right after without breaks?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #109 
blufish425

Do the salt dips while you are waiting for the clout. Since its only for 30 minutes a day, he will still be getting a break from the medication.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #110 
BettaPrincess13

The clout came in the mail today so Ill be dosing him tomorrow. Ill let you know how he does