Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #21 
BettaPrincess13

His old tank was cycled until I moved set up the tank again and the tank was re-cycling thats when he began to get sick
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #22 
BettaPrincess13

I just purchased Kanaplex just to have on hand
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) What size tank is he in?
2) Have you tested for ammonia or nitrites?
3) How often do you do water changes?
4) What percentage of water is changed each time?

Are the red patches on his fins part of his normal coloration? Red patches can indicate ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Or do the red lines run the entire length of the fin? If so, then it could be more indicative of Septicemia.

Why do you think he had gill flukes? And do you think they're gone now? (He still has the symptoms of it: rubbing, flashing, lethargy, rapid breathing, not eating, discolored gills.)

Praziquantel (Droncit) is the usual treatment for many parasites, so the API General Cure should have helped. If it wasn't effective, I would try something with either formalin, such as AP Quick Cure, or with acriflavine, such as Jungle Parasite Clear.

If it is parasitical, then Maracyn 2 won't help. Neither will Kanaplex..... These are antibiotics, not antiparasiticals.

Also, if it is gill flukes (Gyrodactylus spp), then heat treatment may not be effective. Heat disrupts the reproductive cycle of parasites like ich, but I haven't seen it mentioned for Gyrodactylus, so you may want to research that. (I'll try to look it up too, but I don't have time right now.)

Epsom salt should help with the popeye and the buoyancy issues.

(@Anhel - thank you for providing that additional information. It was helpful.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #24 
BettaPrincess13

1) What size tank is he in? 5 gal QT tank
2) Have you tested for ammonia or nitrites? Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 (he is in a QT tank not cycled I plan to keep him in there while the 10 gal cycles)
3) How often do you do water changes? right now everyday before a new does of medication
4) What percentage of water is changed each time? 50%

yeah there magenta spots he's always had, they don't run the entire fin just the ends

no I think he still has them he's still has all the symptoms he is eating now he swallowed 2 pellets a few hours ago for dinner in under a minute and now he's constipated so i'm no longer feeding

I thought it was until he began to swim in circles got pop-eye and all the other symptoms got worse

I think Ill start epsom treatment and take a break on medications and hopefully it will bring down the pop-eye and alleviate him of some symptoms and then after a little break from meds I'll go get something else I just don't want to kill his kidneys. which of those 3 meds do you think would be most effective??

should I be concerned with the red dots around his face and gills that are in those pictures I posted? or do you think thats just a part of him?

he just started rubbing against everything and is flipping out and all jumpy.

should I keep the temp at 85?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

I just texted LittleBlueFishlet ....The most important now is the gill flukes. And i didn't know that its not affected by the temperature. I think all other symptoms that he has can be secondary infection. Keep 85 for now. I would do full water changes also.

You saying he is constipated, when is the last time he pooped?
I ask LittleBlueFishlets if its good idea to treat him with aquarium salt actually to dehydrate the flukes and with General Cure since people saying its helpful with flukes. So lets wait what she is thinking.
I don't know why i was thinking ich not flukes sorry, even though you mentioned flukes before. Flukes are more difficult to get rid of then ich and flukes life cycle is linger too.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #26 
LittleBlueFishlets

I wouldn't worry much about constipation if he hasn't been eating much. (If he doesn't eat much, he won't poop much either.)

I found some differing opinions on gill flukes. But most websites agree that praziquantel is an effective medication.

API General Cure contains praziquantel. You said you didn't find it effective. How long did you use it?

It looks like there are two groups of gill flukes: Dactylogyrus and Gyrodactylus. And, according to the University of Florida website, there are FOUR different groups.....

Below is info from U. Florida's website: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

U. Florida recommended praziquantel:
" A common treatment method is to use praziquantel at 2–5 mg/L in a prolonged bath for 2–3 weeks..... Regardless of concentration or contact time used, small monogeneans may be protected by mucus and thus survive treatment. Infested fish should be re-examined 1–2 weeks post-treatment to determine if treatment should be repeated."

U. Florida also suggested salt baths may, or may not, be effective. Their article says:
"Use of increased salinity to control monogeneans in freshwater fishes can have variable results. Some monogeneans are more tolerant of saline conditions than others. For example, one study of two gyrodactylid species... found that 100% of G. turnbulli were eliminated when guppies were exposed to 25 g/L (ppt) salinity for 15 minutes. However, the same treatment removed only 72% of G. bullatarudis. This same study reported that increasing salinity from 0 to 3 g/L resulted in an increase in numbers of gyrodactylids. The authors reported the fish produced more mucus in response to the increased salinity; the monogeneans fed on the increased mucus and were also able to adjust to the salinity change. In contrast, some freshwater monogenean species are able to live for several days in full-strength seawater (30–35 g/L) but are not able to reproduce during that time. This wide variability in salinity tolerance of the different monogenean species found on freshwater fishes means the use of increased salinity may not be effective in controlling them.....

"Regardless of the salt concentration used, the minimum contact time is 10 minutes (15 minutes for some monogeneans—see hypersalinity in the section on treatment). However, if the fish roll over before 10 minutes has lapsed, they should be immediately removed from the dip"

So if you want to do a salt dip/bath, I can work up the numbers required to achieve a high enough dosage of salt.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 09-21-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Personally, given the sensitivity of bettas to salt.... I'd go the praziquantel route. I'd keep him something like API General Cure for 2-3 weeks....

But if you decide to do a salt bath, here are the calculations:
1 teaspoon (tsp) of salt = 5.69 grams....

25 g/L salt is needed for the salt bath (per U. Florida's directions.)
That's 4.39 tsp salt / L

And 3.785 L = 1 gal

So you would need to add 16.6 teaspoons of salt to 1 gallon of water.

Then put the fish into this for 10-15 minutes. BUT be prepared to immediately remove him if he has trouble.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

Thank you LittleBlueFishlets for all help.
How is he doing this morning?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #29 
BettaPrincess13

thank you for all the help your giving me (:

He's still constipated he hasn't been able to poop the 4 pellets he had yesterday (2 from morning and night)

if I do general Cure instead of Epsom how would I get rid of his constipation and pop-eye. do you think I should do epsom first and then General Cure?

He was laying at the top until around 9 am this morning. right now he's swimming but his stomach is swollen cause he can't poop the food he ate
Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

You can use Epsom salt and API General Cure at the same time.

(It's kind of like taking something for an upset stomach the same time that you're taking another medication. One won't affect the other, and taking them together isn't harmful.)

The Epsom salt should help the popeye and bloating.
The General Cure should help if he has parasites, and it may also help the eye.