Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #31 
BettaPrincess13

really?? so I should go ahead in a few hours and scoop him out do a 95 to 100% water change to take out the old Maracyn Two med in there, refill and had epsom salt, assimilate him to it and then when he's in the 5 gal QT tank with Epsom I add the General Cure?

also how often and how much of a water change should I do during the course of the treatment? and should I continue both Epsom and General Cure for 2 to 3 weeks? do you think the past treatments of Epsom, General Cure, and Maracyn Two have done damage to his Kidneys or internal organs or do you think he should be fine going on a fourth treatment of Epsom/General Cure Combo?
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #32 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
You can use Epsom salt and API General Cure at the same time.

(It's kind of like taking something for an upset stomach the same time that you're taking another medication. One won't affect the other, and taking them together isn't harmful.)

The Epsom salt should help the popeye and bloating.
The General Cure should help if he has parasites, and it may also help the eye.
I have to disagree. Many medications (antibiotics) are useless in water that is high GH and/or KH

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #33 
blufish425

I've been treating gill flukes for 3 weeks now, so I figured I'd offer my two cents.

I have used, general cure, quickcure (contains formalin), coppersafe, and Clout( very heavy med, not available in some states) and I cannot get rid of these flukes. Note* I see you are using Epsom salt, I don't believe it will be helpful to you in this case since it helps with internal problems and gill flukes is an external parasite

I have spent hours researching, and littlebluefishlets is correct there are many opinions on how to get rid of flukes. Something interesting I did find was the parasite causing gill flukes lays eggs, these eggs hatch every 2-4 days depending on water temperature. You HAVE to interrupt their life cycle or you have no chance of getting rid of them forever. Therefore I suggest daily 100% changes. Ive been using a 1/2 gal QT tank, I take him out, scrub it down, and 100% change every day.

Ive also been doing salt dips( AQ salt NOT Epsom salt), it is too stressful to use medication and salt at the same time. I use 4 tsp/gallon of water, and he stays in there for 30 minutes. I don't know if the salt is actually helping kill the flukes (I think not since ive done it every day for over a week) but when he is in the salt dip he stops scratching, so if nothing else its some relief for them. Also, the salt dip will help with fin rot. During the salt dip I clean his bowl, but be sure to keep an eye on him, if he starts floating sideways he's had enough and needs to be taken out, I have not had this happen with my method though.

I also agree with littlebluefishlets, try the general cure for 2-3 weeks. Switching medications, even after going the full dose, doesn't seem to work. Perhaps continuing one medication for a long period of time will help.

So my suggestions in summary
-Gen cure 2-3 wks
-daily water changes
-daily salt dips (AQ salt)
-oh and a bit extra food, these parasites wear on them, you want him strong enough to heal

Best of luck
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #34 
LittleBlueFishlets

@blufish425 - The Epsom salt is because the fish has popeye, and is constipated and bloated. It's not for the flukes.... Did you see the info that I posted on salt baths from University of Florida's website? I was surprised at the high concentration of salt they said is needed. Interesting info about the life cycle!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@rickey - Interesting. I'm used to considering only pH as factor. The sulfate anion is pH neutral, and the Mg2+ cation is slightly acidic. So if GH/KH were low, the magnesium cation might lower pH just slightly. (Many antibiotics are more effective at lower pH's anyway.)

I know that KH is important for buffering. (From what I've read, it's a measure of carbonate concentration. Is it similar to the blood buffering system: H2CO3 <-> H+ + HCO3- ?) How does a high KH impact medications?

And I believe that GH is "general hardness," which includes all the ions present (including those from any MgSO4 that was added). The major ones that I can think of (Ca2+, K+, Na+ and Cl-) should all be pH-neutral. (Salts of strong bases and a strong acid.) So I'm stumped on this one, too. How does GH impact medications?

Thanks! I don't cycle my tanks, so I'm probably less familiar with GH and KH than I should be.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 09-22-2013 at 12:52 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #35 
BettaPrincess13

So you guys think I should do AQ salt instead of Epsom salt and not do general cure at the same time? I'm confused as to how I should go about treating him
Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #36 
LittleBlueFishlets

No. I would NOT add aquarium salt to the tank while using antibiotics!

The University of Florida website suggested a 10-15 minute salt bath. Ie: you put the fish into salt water for 10-15 minutes ONLY, then return him to his regular (unsalted) tank.

My opinion was that I would try the praziquantel treatment (API General Cure) for 2-3 weeks instead, which is the other treatment outlined by U.Florida. (Ie: I said that I would use General Cure, and NOT do the salt bath/dip.) I said this because their recommended salt treatment is a VERY high dosage, and Bettas are sensitive to salt.

If you are concerned, then just do the API General Cure. Per the U. Florida website, you may need to treat for 2-3 weeks, or longer. If he has gill flukes, you need to get rid of them. So, IMO, the API General Cure is the most important medication.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #37 
ANHEL123

did see that you replied :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #38 
BettaPrincess13

Do I need to assimilate him slowly with the salt water and then add him to the 1 gal salt tank then 15 mins later take him out assimilate him to the large tank and put him in there and then put general cure and repeat everyday? I feel like scooping him into a tank everyday will kill him and I won't have time to do this everyday with work

So I probably should do general cure for 2 to 3 weeks to kill the main problem then treat secondary infections with a Epsom salt treatment.

When I do Epsom salt in the 5 gal qt tank do I have to do daily water changes and scoop him out everyday and re assimilate him everyday to the new salt water?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #39 
BettaPrincess13

does this look more like slime coat or fungus? its what overtook my 10 gal tank and seems to be in the QT tank now as well

Old 09-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #40 
BettaPrincess13

sorry I don't mean to double or triple post just wanted to let you guys know I did an 80-85% water change (Can't do a full 100% water change because of my condition I can't carry heavy things so carrying 5 gallons of water won't work so I just do as much as I can carry. my fiancÚ usually helps with water changes but he's away at school so I have to do them myself for now) I took out most of the water and did a fairly large water change. I have General Cure next to me as well as AQ and Epsom salt on hand. once I get the ok as to what to use first and how to go about treatment I'll start. water is clean so I can put in the medication at any time (: