Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #41 
BettaPrincess13

This just happened a few minutes ago so he is no longer constipated so I can go ahead and do General Cure first since he's scratching on everything and shaking like crazy. and treat the rest with salt later down the road.

The poop is brown which is good but I don't even know how he passed this without tearing a whole O_o it looks like a brain and it has to be at least half an inch wide and almost half an inch in diameter. he looked like he was giving birth to a planet....I took some pictures before taking it out and putting in a little bit of new water to fill the tank back up

I'm sorry I'm constantly posting I just want to give updates and any new information that could help

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-22-2013 at 04:25 PM.
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #42 
ANHEL123

Its good that you give us as many updates its always helps. I would go ahead and pre mix medications for him today. I am glad he finally not constipated and his poo is normal.
About that slimy stuff i still don't think its a fungus because fungus will be directly on fish , just like those pictures that i posted in my other post for you.

I am thinking what is the best way for you to change the water though..Do you use the siphon to take 85% out?

Also , well with ich you need to rinse and dry out all changing equipment until next use ,so its kill parasites(no host, they die). Not sure if it the same with flukes but i assume it is.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #43 
BettaPrincess13

I went ahead and started the general cure which I'll continue for 2 to 3 weeks as you all suggested and Epsom later.

Yep I siphoned everything and rinsed that white fuzzy stuff off and dried it before putting back. I really don't Know what it is but it keeps coming back...

Yeah it's just coming out bigger than him but I assume its because of build up from being constipated. Hopefully he starts to poop more often so it doesn't happen again.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #44 
ANHEL123

Try to take that decoration out of the tank until you done with the treatment. I think its also will be easier for you to change the water.
Also after you done with siphon , hang it vertically , so its let all water drip out of it and dry out. And also rinse the siphone , let the hot water go through it.

When you siphone 80-85% of the water can you scoop the rest of the water or its difficult? I wish you have tank like i do. My tank is 2.5 gall though and its a plastic tank. So when i scoop all water out its so light , that you literally can lift it with your finger.

I am so sorry for all the trouble, you doing such a good job for the little guy;(
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #45 
BettaPrincess13

the only thing is that decor floats and it has a little hole at the top so its easier for him to get air from the surface because he tires really easily and sometimes lays at the bottom and bolts up for air so he lays in the log and goes to the opening of the decor when he needs air. if I take it out he'll have a hard time reaching the surface ): its the only decor in there though the bottom is empty to make it easy for me to see anything that falls and clean it up when I'm doing water changes

I could siphon all the water out but its carrying in the buckets when there full thats difficult because the joints in my wrist and doing two rounds running to the utility sink and back is to much cause I would have to get the water to the same temp a second time it would just take to much time so I just do it one time. I ended up doing a 10 to 15% water change after he pooped and tried to eat it I went ahead and siphoned it out and taking out whatever else was on the bottom and refilled what I took out so the waters almost 100% new water

everywhere I've read on here people have been losing there fish left and right and its discouraging me ): I don't want to lose him but you don't hear often that fish have made it most die during treatment because the diseases just attack so fast ): I'm hoping he makes it he's a fighter he's gotten this far which most fish wouldn't of so I have a lot of faith in him (:
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #46 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
@blufish425 - The Epsom salt is because the fish has popeye, and is constipated and bloated. It's not for the flukes.... Did you see the info that I posted on salt baths from University of Florida's website? I was surprised at the high concentration of salt they said is needed. Interesting info about the life cycle!
Sorry, I read through the thread as quickly as possible as its getting rather long. Now the Epsom salt makes more sense :)

I did not see your info from the University of Florida (as I said I skimmed :P)

I got my info for salt baths/dips from this website, it also talks about using other medications as a "bath", very interesting, worth checking out http://www.algone.com/articles/fish-...rium-fish-dips

And the info about the life cycle from here
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Gill_or_Skin_flukes

and here
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/parasites-flukes

and here
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...worms-possible

I recommend Bettaprincess13 that you take a look at these, and also anybody who wants to know waaayy too much about gill flukes ;)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #47 
BettaPrincess13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufish425 View Post
Sorry, I read through the thread as quickly as possible as its getting rather long. Now the Epsom salt makes more sense :)

I did not see your info from the University of Florida (as I said I skimmed :P)

I got my info for salt baths/dips from this website, it also talks about using other medications as a "bath", very interesting, worth checking out http://www.algone.com/articles/fish-...rium-fish-dips

And the info about the life cycle from here
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Gill_or_Skin_flukes

and here
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/parasites-flukes

and here
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...worms-possible

I recommend Bettaprincess13 that you take a look at these, and also anybody who wants to know waaayy too much about gill flukes ;)
Thanks Blufish425! I went and read all three articles (:

I'm hoping I can get rid of these flukes once and for all. He's had them before but never this bad...and hopefully since he's in a 5 gal QT tank that is constantly siphoned every 1 to 2 days it will help in ridding of any unhatched eggs or free floating flukes...

He was able to eat today and is swimming around. I had to turn the heat down from 84 to 82 cause I found him with his head almost out of water this morning I'm guessing having a hard time getting oxygen so I brought the temp down and he seems to be doing a lot better. the swelling seems to have gone down a bit his eye but I'll still do a salt dip and a few other medications after General Cure just to be safe

I'll keep you guys updated on how he's doing with the treatment during the next coming weeks (: and I plan to maybe use the kanaplex once its all said and done. the article says to treat with bacterial medication after just in case.

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #48 
ANHEL123

Keep us updated. And also do not get discourage. We all get sick, pets get sick too. If you have a pet you always have to be ready they can get sick, just like when you have a child. And also if not you he would probobly be dead if he would be at the store so you give him so much love and care, thank you!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #49 
BettaPrincess13

Thank You all for all your support (: thats why I love coming on here because like today I went to work and one of my co-workers who also has a betta I thought would understand so I told her about how mine is sick and Im doing everything to make him better because I care about him but I found out she actually hates hers and can't wait for it to die so she can get something else and doesn't really like fish and just made fun of me for being so worried about my fish saying "its nothing special its just a fish"

it's good to know there people on here who understand and have love as respect for these little guys as much as I do (:
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #50 
ANHEL123

Aww its sad:( Can you adopt her fish? Unfortunately its like that. Some people don't understand the fish and some just have them all their lives and love them. I love my dog and i love my fish, and l love my cat. All of them my favorite. My friend and my coworker love their bettas. Even the doctor i work for love my bettas and let me keep in his office 2 of them. But the doctor love fish though. So don't get upset we all different. But i really feel bad about her fish:(
If you ever can adopt her fish though you need to be very careful and never CROSS CONTAMINATE anything with yours because he will get those flukes too.