Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #1 
BamaBetta

White on my Betta

Ole Nick has a large white spot under his mouth and on each side of his head. The patches on the sides are pretty much in the same spot, size and everything. I was initially worried about it being a fungus or some other infection. I've just completed a API Fungus Cure 4 day treatment cycle and there are no changes to the spots. He doesn't rub them on anything in the tank and acts healthy in all other regards other than those spots. Could it be that it's just his coloration or is it something worse than a simple infection? I can't get a good picture of it because of his swimming and the flash reflection.

Thank you,
Will
BamaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #2 
Jazattackk

Sounds like Fungal Infection

Do a full jar water change. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle.
These are crystals are dosage should be about 30-40grains per 1/2 gal. Water should have a nice gold color, not too dark. Do not overmedicate! Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared. Then switch to BettaZing (8 drops per gallon) to clean any other bacteria/fungus that may still be present.

for very stubborn or very fast invasive fungus use: Fungus Eliminator AND Bettazing TOGETHER, both at full dosage.- Not very many fungus can survive this powerful duo!

And add aquarium salt to your tank every week at water changes, even when your fish is healthy. if you use salt, your betta will probably never get that infection, and it's really healthy for them.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #3 
Maryrox247

Hmm. I would either say ich or just his natural coloration but like jazzattackk said you should probably take precations and add the meds and do the water changes.
But when it comes to the aquarium salt i dont recomend it. They are freshwater fish not marine fish. But you could give it a try it won't kill the little guy.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #4 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
But when it comes to the aquarium salt i dont recomend it. They are freshwater fish not marine fish. But you could give it a try it won't kill the little guy.
Aquarium salt is actually very beneficial for betta fish. It is good for preventing disease and treating disease.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #5 
rb500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Aquarium salt is actually very beneficial for betta fish. It is good for preventing disease and treating disease.
I agree, that's why we do our salt baths after all lol :)
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

OH. I get it. The reason i said i didnt recommend it was because i heard that someone put salt in thier betta tank and it was ramming into the walls. Anyways how do you do a salt bath and how often?
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
OH. I get it. The reason i said i didnt recommend it was because i heard that someone put salt in thier betta tank and it was ramming into the walls. Anyways how do you do a salt bath and how often?
That's a question for neejar aka The Salt Bath King ;)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! The salt bath king! I like that!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #9 
rb500

Haha, salt bath king! and salt baths are only for fin rot. There are some other things it treats, but mainly fin rot.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #10 
BamaBetta

I did 3 salt baths yesterday, he seemed to enjoy them or maybe it was the break from watching over his minions. I know one spot on top is a damaged scale but even after the baths there are no changes to the spots. I have aquarium salt in his tank and do weekly 25% changes, adding 25% salt back to the tank and a dosage of API's Bettafix. I also use a turkey baster to remove any food after about 5 minutes to prevent any decaying food issues (course the ghost shrimp and corys do a good job there too.) He's active, curious and shows no physical signs other than those spots. Here's the best picture I could take (the spot on his side is a spot on the tank,) he really hates the light off of the camera.

BamaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote