Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #11 
rb500

i agree with the two above. and yes they are carnivores but constant bloodworms are bad for them. they should only be as a treat once a day 2 days a week. and you should leave if you are fighting them. so just answer that, are you fighting them!?!?
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #12 
bingobongo

sry for not answering u guys...IM NOT THE ONE TAT FIGHTS THEM ITS MY OLDER BRO THAT DOES IT... also I DOO HOUSE THEM IN THEIR OWN 3GAL TANK...EACH WITH THEIR OWN PLANTS N STUFF...except for my female i divided her up with one of my yellowish red short tail male...hoping to breed them soon but my male doesnt seem to be ready yet...im sorry for wat i said...n also jux today one of my male betta died from DROPSY...is there a cure for that? so it wont occur to my pair betta that imma breed soon...

R.I.P Keita 3:48 pm Aug. 8, 2009

sry i couldnt do anything to cure ur dropsy... T.T

Last edited by bingobongo; 08-09-2009 at 12:30 AM.
bingobongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #13 
Jazattackk

Uhm, I don't think you should breed your bettas, you seem to know very little about them, and you have to do a lot of research. Geez, you don't even know what to properly feed them, so breeding them is a no no. And there isn't a cure for Dropsy.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #14 
Jazattackk

And um, the reason that your betta got Dropsy, is because of what you fed him.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #15 
bingobongo

i knoe alot about bettas as much as u do...when breeding them the male makes the bubble nest, mate with the female, catches the eggs n puts it into the bubbles...it takes about 2-3 days for the babies to hatch n for them to consume their sack...they should be left with the male betta instead of the female n should be fed with brime shrimp...after theyre visible enough the male should taken out...keeping the water temp between 75-80, keep the water clean, etc...then from there on simple steps all the way until theyre fully grown...am i rite or am i rite?... n about the food source, i knoe i was wrong for feeding them only dried blood worms because i got it from my brother...everyone makes mistakes rite...n i learn from it tats y i asked for ur guys help but this is wat i get in return...
Old 08-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #16 
Jynx

You shouldn't let anyone make your fish fight- these are small, delicate animals and in nature fights last only a few seconds before the loser swims away and hides. They are not meant to be put together and made to fight for any length of time. The damage to the fins causes all kinds of infections and illness. We spend a great deal of time discussing ways to actually cut back the aggression factor- that's why there's a whole section on what fish they can get along with in a community tank. Because we want our fish to be happy and live as long as possible- which can be many years if they're treated well.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #17 
bingobongo

yea i knoe tat but wat can i do?...next thing i knoe my bro jux tells me tat mine won n his lost...despite the fact tat i still go ta skool n warn him lots of time not to fight them, it still happens...

I have one other problem...i was changing my tank tat my male n female betta was in 2 days ago...while changing it, i transfer them into their original cups tat i first got them from petsmart...but without thinkin i forgot to cover the top with their lid...after cleaning the tank n all those stuff tat i was inside n filled it bak up with water for about 13 min or so...i realized tat my male betta was missin n found him on the carpet layin there...i took a hold of him n placed him in his side of the tank...after several hours, he returned to his normal self...but after the next day, he became idle n jux lay there by the pebbles...should i be worry?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #18 
Jynx

Because bettas can gulp the air they tend to do better after an accident like that then other fish would- but the fall and the shock and stress it caused might have hurt him. If that's the case there's not a lot you can do other than make him warm and comfortable.

If your brother can't handle the temptation of having these fish around you might consider trading them for some other kind of pet. The fighting will eventually kill them.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #19 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Bingo- Are you able to talk to your parents and ask them to intervene on your behalf as far as your brother is concerned? Perhaps if your parents knew how bad this was for your betta's health they'd stop this crazy behavior on your brother's part. Just a thought...
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #20 
dr2b

I don't think you have even close to enough knowledge to breed bettas. You need to do a LOT of research to breed bettas. And I know I'm not going to be the only one to say you don't have enough information to breed yet. That information you know is just skimming the top.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote