Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #1 
caltha

Exclamation Male betta keeps flaring at reflection??

Hi everyone. I've had my male betta for about 2 months now, and he is in a filtered and heated 5 gallon. The problem is is that he constantly flares at his reflection in the back of the tank. This used to be only when his tank light was on and the room was dark, but now it's whenever the light is on period :(. I tried fixing the problem by taping 2 plain white printer papers on the back, and it has helped but it looks really ugly. My first question is...is it bad for him to constantly flare? Should I even worry about this? Second...if it is bad and I should make him stop is it possible that buying an aquarium background will help too? I don't want to buy one if it won't work. Thanks to anyone who can help me out
caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltha View Post
Hi everyone. I've had my male betta for about 2 months now, and he is in a filtered and heated 5 gallon. The problem is is that he constantly flares at his reflection in the back of the tank. This used to be only when his tank light was on and the room was dark, but now it's whenever the light is on period :(. I tried fixing the problem by taping 2 plain white printer papers on the back, and it has helped but it looks really ugly. My first question is...is it bad for him to constantly flare? Should I even worry about this? Second...if it is bad and I should make him stop is it possible that buying an aquarium background will help too? I don't want to buy one if it won't work. Thanks to anyone who can help me out
Flaring constantly can be too stressful and unhealthy. I don't know what to do to stop the reflection but a background may work. A small hand held mirror is used for a few seconds to get him to flare for exercise daily.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Move the tank away from the wall so some light can shine back there. That will cut the reflection. A medium-tone patterned background might help. Don't put it right on the tank. Just use anything you have lying around.

Get the tank completely dark at night for >8-hours. Cover it if you have to.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #4 
caltha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Move the tank away from the wall so some light can shine back there. That will cut the reflection. A medium-tone patterned background might help. Don't put it right on the tank. Just use anything you have lying around.

Get the tank completely dark at night for >8-hours. Cover it if you have to.

I did as you suggested to no avail :( His tank already gets pitch black at night though.

Anyone have other suggestions on how to cut down reflection flaring? If it makes a difference the tank is acrylic
caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

OK, next trick: Try putting a towel or cover around three sides of the tank.

Next: Instead of using your hood-light. Try shining light in through one of the sides.

Failing that, cut back on the brightness of the light. Floating plants are good for this, like Wisteria, duckweed, frogbit, Watersprite, even floating Anubias.

And/or use Indian Almond leaves, dried Oak leaves or Roibos tea to darken the water with tannins. This is good for the fish in many ways.

Just to reassure you, they eventually outgrow this pernicious habit.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote