Betta Fish Forum banner

dont recommend this tank

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  BabblingFish 
#1 ·
I went to my local walmart and bought a small 3 gallon tank they had there for my new Betta the tank in itsself is just fine it is a 3 gallon tank with light and all but it comes with a rather large filter and when i installed it it was way too powerful for the small tank.....I know exta filtration is never a bad thing but this thing was so powerful it was leterally beating up my Betta poor thing couldn't even swim in there he was being thrown around like a rag doll so i had to go and buy a smaller filter for it now he is a happy camper

#2 ·
Oh that sucks. Ive seen some cool looking tanks but always worry about the filter speed. With Fishys tank I made a buffer with pantyhouse cause it was too strong for him. None of my others have filters,just bubbles. Scratch that,Pez has a filter but i can control the speed haha. My pandas have a very nice filter in their Marineland tank,but no way to control that flow and definetly not good for bettas. Very strong,but they love that lol. They have fun riding the current. Anywho.

#4 ·
Yup you dont need one. Its really if you wanna cycle the tank. As long as you keep up with wcs,betta will be a-okay. You can buy bubbles for them though. They have them at wally world and pet stores. Just remember to get a check valve so you can control it lol.

#6 ·
oh cloudy already hmmm...yep bigger tank. Not sure on the cloudy tank thing...but as for my fishies, I do a 50% twice a week then a 100% once a month for the ones without filters. Fishy and Pandas are the only cycled tanks.

#7 ·
well I think tomorrow when I get home from work im just gonna change all his water and see if that works. I want to make sur he is happy..... Im used to tropical fish in big tanks Im afraid im lost as to what to do with these little tanks but i will learn quickly hoping to get som nice pics tomorrow so you can see how pretty they are

#8 ·
Sounds good. I just read online here that doing wcs can help with cloudy water. Its a bacterial bloom,it can happen with new tanks. So yeah do a wc,should help. Ah okay,I started with small tanks lol. Back in the day we had a big tank with goldfish and whatnot,but that was many many moons ago so I dont remember nothing from then.

#10 ·
Haha,yes bettas are beggars. Some feed twice a day,some once a day. I do once a day. 4 pellets should do it. of course a fasting day as well.

#12 ·
Yep! Fast them at least once a week. To help with their digestion. Else they could get constipated or worse lead to swim bladder disorder. My Smurfy is a chronic sbd'er for some reason. So she gets fed like every other day or so. Bettas can go without food up to two weeks,of course we wouldnt do that but they can. So one day wont hurt em none.

#13 ·
ok got ya I will fast them on saturdays then..... Once again thank you for all of your help i really do appreciate it. Nice to have someone to help me. well time to get to bed work at 5 am and my puppy wants to go nite nite.......see my animals rule my world hahahahaha.......take care......night

#14 ·
LOL i know the feeling well! Have a good night and your welcome.

#16 ·
Yeah every other,sometimes I wait two days. I just have to watch her and see if shes swimming normal. But usually every other seems to work out.

#19 ·
I only give her 3 pellets,and yeah it seems to help her. I noticed if I fed her everyday,then fast one day,she had issues. So every other,just a few seems to be good for her.

#22 ·
If you're talking about the Tetra 3 gallon tank set thing, I have it. I just took the filter out because it was too much for my betta too. Other than the filter, I love the tank. :] Im just using the filter for another larger tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.