Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Talking Just got my first Betta!!

Okay, so i just got my betta today (might i add he isthe CUTEST thing on earth! besides my fish in the community tank and the dogs XD) Anyways, I have him in a 2.5 gallon filtered and heated tank. ( temp 81 degrees.) He is with one julii catfish. So thats a little about him. What i was wondering was if his feeding schedule is good and how many pellets to feed him. Please note i want to feed once a day. ( two times max.)

Okay here is his feeding schedule:
Sun. Pellets Mon.Pellets Tues. Pellets Wed. Freeze dried tubifex (the blocks) Thurs. Pellets Fri. Pellets. Sat. FAST 25% water change.(once every two weeks.)

So does that sound good?
P.S this is my first post. LOL8)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #2 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Okay, so i just got my betta today (might i add he isthe CUTEST thing on earth! besides my fish in the community tank and the dogs XD) Anyways, I have him in a 2.5 gallon filtered and heated tank. ( temp 81 degrees.) He is with one julii catfish. So thats a little about him. What i was wondering was if his feeding schedule is good and how many pellets to feed him. Please note i want to feed once a day. ( two times max.)

Okay here is his feeding schedule:
Sun. Pellets Mon.Pellets Tues. Pellets Wed. Freeze dried tubifex (the blocks) Thurs. Pellets Fri. Pellets. Sat. FAST 25% water change.(once every two weeks.)

So does that sound good?
P.S this is my first post. LOL8)
Someone answer! LOL
Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #3 
Jazattackk

2.5 gallons is big enough for only one fish, so maybe you should put the other fish in your community tank, and cleaning the tank once every two weeks isnt enough, you need to clean at least every week. I think for your size tank, its every three days. I'm not sure, since I dont have a small tank but you should ask someone who has a 2.5 gallon how often.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #4 
dr2b

Welcome to FishForum! I'd clean the tank once a week. Also, like Jazattackk said, 2.5 gallons is enough for one fish - so you should probably take the catfish out.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #5 
Maryrox247

AAAH!! I just checked on him and i looked at the bottom and i only saw his dorsal peeking throught the glass stones so i got a net to try and get him out and thank GOD he is still alive! WHAT HAPPENED! he was asleep by the way. Oh yeah or do you think he was hiding behind the tall fake plant and it was just an optical illusion? IM FREAKED OUT!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes they'll do the wierdest things like wedge themselves under rocks to sleep. I had one that wedged himself under rocks upside down! It IS scary when they do stuff like that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #7 
Vikki81207

lol that still cracks me up DQ
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #8 
rb500

they sure are whimsical fish, lol. congrats on the betta, and yea, 2.5 is just big enough for him, so take the catfish out. and clean at least once a week, with a 50 or 25% change halfway in between full changes.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #9 
Kim

As said, I would move the catfish to the community tank, especially if you do not plan on cycling the tank.

If you do not know about cycling then please ask and we can explain it to you. In an uncycled 2.5 gallon you will need to do 100% water changes every 3 days or so I think. I have never had any uncycled tanks before so maybe someone else can help you better with that, but I do know for sure that once every two weeks in not enough.

Some other things that bettas love are frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia. I haven't heard of many people feeding tubifex to bettas though I don't really know the reason why...I'll look it up.

Hope this helps ;)

Edit: I just looked up tubifex and the reason they are not really recommended is because they tend to harbor a lot of bad bacteria and parasites. They are just a low quality food so I'd stay away from them. You can try the other frozen things that I listed above instead.

Last edited by Kim; 08-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #10 
Maryrox247

what i meant by feeding tubifex was the freeze dried block kind. ( i cant get my hands on bloodworms... the store,get this, DOESNT SELL THEM!)And my tank is cycled. ( I added the cycle bacteria like the intructions that came with the tank said.) I mean when i got my tank from the pet store the fish guy said set the tank up then let water age for 15 minutes then pour half the betta cups water into the tank and replace it with half tank water and let the betta adjust for an hour then put him in.