Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 
kmcKizzy

How do I clean Java Moss?

Hi everyone I just ordered some Java Moss from e-bay. When it gets here I would like to add it to my aquarium. I did the fishless cycle and just got my new fish Hugo about a week ago. He's a very happy fishy. I thought it would be nice to add some java moss in his 5 gallon tank.

I've been reading that java moss could carry diseases/snails/etc. So, my question is, what do I do to clean the moss before adding it to my healthy tank? Can I just clean it in some old tank water? I've read many mixed reviews on this. If anyone has a certain method that has worked successfully, I would really appreciate your input!

I'm super excited to have joined the Betta world

Below is Hugo's tank..was thinking of somehow anchoring the java moss to the mushroom centerpiece.
Attached Images

kmcKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
Skuldane

I love the fluval chi aquariums I want one pretty bad. How is the current in that one, is it too strong? And what is the black hose with the suction cup? (Sorry don't mean to steer your thread astray I too ordered some java moss and need the information you do =P)
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #3 
kmcKizzy

I love this aquarium too!! It's so pretty. With the rock tray sitting on top of the filter box there is really no current at all. The black thing with the suction cup is just a digital thermometer; )
Have you read into cleaning the java moss? I have read something about using bleach and such but I can't see how this is a good idea! I'm most likely just going to rinse it really good in old tank water..unless anyone has some expert advice for me..wink wink: )
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #4 
marshallsea

I have used a bleach mixture to clean plants and killed them. Rinse in tap water for a few minutes and if you're worried quarantine the moss and watch for snails.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
Skuldane

I will try that,thanks.

Also, found a Fluval Chi aquarium on craigslist, he is asking 40 OBO, I offered 25 since it's a wee bit of a drive =P

Hopefully I will get it =D
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #6 
kmcKizzy

Thanks marshallsea, that is the exact answer I was hoping to get= ) much appreciated!!

Good luck with the bid Skuldane, I hope you get it too; )
Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #7 
peachii

Moss is sometimes more sensitive to dips than other plants. So quarantine is usually the best thing to do to clean or check for snails. Excel, peroxide and bleach don't really do well with most all mosses, unless they are diluted heavily.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #8 
kmcKizzy

Thanks peachii: ) Does the water temperature affect java moss, or can I just quarantine it in anything that will hold water? For example, can I just put it in a bucket of old tank water for a week?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #9 
peachii

You can, moss actually grows better in colder water temps so it shouldn't hurt it at all.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

I've got a question on this one too, does it need to be old tank water, or can you just use regular tap water? I usually QT my plants in chlorinated water just to help cut down on anything they might be carrying. Can moss be done the same way?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote