Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #1 
Super Betas616

Tank Help!!!

I'm going to get a beta fish tomorrow and i was just going to get a 1/2 gallon tank and going to improve in like 2 weeks to a 3 gallon and so on.

so will my beta fish be happy in a 1/2 gallon i mean i want it to be as happy as it can just need to make the money for the tanks.

and its plastic so how will the heater work with it. it isn't that good at keeping heat in.

thank you
Super Betas616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #2 

I would wait until I could afford the larger tank. Petco and other stores sell ten gal tanks for ten to thirteen dollars. All you would need then is inexpensive sponge filter and heater.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

@.5 gallons or larger is what is usually recommended. I have acrylic tanks and I have had no problem with heaters.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #4 
Blue Eternity

Yeah it would probably be best to wait until you can afford a larger tank. They aren't expensive, its about 10 bucks for a nice very large 10 gallon. How large is the heater you have now? Depending on how many watts the heater is and your climate, I would worry about it over heating a half gallon tank. I know where I live with my tanks (which are on the smaller size, 3 and 1) I don't need a heater in the summer.

If you must get him now, you can get inexpensive tanks (like critter keepers) in larger sizes. You can also check your local thrift store, I know my Salvation Army usually has some tanks that are very cheap. Just be sure to wash it very, very well. Another option is looking at your dollar store for a LARGE vase. Not a tiny one, but a large one that will give him room to move around. Or a storage container, try stores like Big Lots, Walmart or dollar stores for cheap ones that are around 9-10L (which is about 2 1/2 gallons)

I wouldn't keep him in a 1/2 gallon, he would be much happier in a larger tank. (at least 2 1/2 gallons)

Don't forget to post pictures when you get him :]
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #5 
hunniebeenikki

You can get a 10g starter kit... It comes with a filter, and a top to keep the Betta from jumping out. Just have to buy a heater. Most heaters keep or try to keep the water at 78F.
hunniebeenikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #6 
Vikki81207

Yep I agree, wait.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #7 
rb500

Yes, if you want him to be happy, wait until you have all you need, larger tank, heater, filter, decor, and THEN fish. I did, and it was great having Pheonix to look forward to after working so hard on his tank. :)
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I meant 2.5 gallons! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #9 
rb500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I meant 2.5 gallons! lol
haha, lol