Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
Chachi

Male or female?

I've gotten one opinion on the sex of these new babies I got but wanted to see if others agree.... So, here are pics of them, I would love to know if they are male and female before we decide on their names....if it is possible to tell at this point. I believe they are about 6 weeks old based on the fry size chart I found on here. Thanks for your input!! :)
Attached Images

Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

one thing I do know about sexing from reading is that males will always have that flappy skirt bit of skin under their gills so they can flare and display, and females do not have this. the pictures are a little to far away for me to give a opinion. Although I have never bred them only know what piece of skin I am talking about. :)
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #3 
TGIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
one thing I do know about sexing from reading is that males will always have that flappy skirt bit of skin under their gills so they can flare and display, and females do not have this. the pictures are a little to far away for me to give a opinion. Although I have never bred them only know what piece of skin I am talking about. :)
Actually, females have this too. :) The most reliable way is to look for their ovaries (a triangle shape) through their bodies. I'd wait until someone more experienced could come and help you though...
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #4 
beautiful Betta

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
Actually, females have this too. :) The most reliable way is to look for their ovaries (a triangle shape) through their bodies. I'd wait until someone more experienced could come and help you though...
oh well I guess that info I read was wrong. You would think the books would get it right.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 
Chachi

No opinions?? I'm dying to know!! LOL
Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I'll say it again ^_^ both are boy's And yes the other's are right, both male and females have beards and both will flare as well so that's never a good indicator. Also ovipositer's are not indicators as well, some people think that only females have them. Ovipositer also known as egg spots which are little white dots behind the ventral fins on the body. But males also have imitator ovipositer to try to fool other fish in the wild. Some will get rid of them by the time they hit maturity but some males will actually keep it and I actually have a boy who's approx. a year old and still has his

So last thing that is the only way to tell is to look for the ovaries which as I had said were a cone shaped object behind the stomach. So I actually took your picture and outlined the stomach which is circular although poorly drawn circle lol
And then I've outlined where the ovaries would be if it were a female which it is not ^_^

Also note how long the fins are already, the female would have a much shorter anal fin and the ventrals would also be very short as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #7 
Chachi

Awesome!! Now that one in the pic needs a name!! LOL Hate naming fish when I don't know their gender! My son already named the other one Owen so I guess it's a good thing he's a boy!!