Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 
flamethebetta

Exclamation Help with betta with tail rot

Hi I have had my betta flame for a week now and I think he has fin rot and it seems to be getting worse. he's currently housed in a 10 gallon but I bought a 1.5 gallon incase of emergencies like this. I bought bettafix, api aquarium salt and api tetracycline to treat it.

What temperature should I keep him in the 1.5 gallon (I have no heater for it)?

Could I use the 50W heater in the 10 gallon as an alternative to heat to 1.5 gallon?

Do I need to do 100% water changes every day during the process?

How long can I keep using aquarium salt?

If aquarium salt doesn't help should I go with bettafix or tetracycline?

This is what flame looked like a few days ago

This is what he looks like now

flamethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #2 
TiffanyP

Warm clean water is essential to help clear up fin rot. If you can get him in the 10 gal and heat it to a good temp (about 80F) that would be okay, but it's easier to do the necessary water changes in a small container.

I would do 1 tsp/gal AQ salt. Make sure the salt is pre-dissolved in some tank water before you put it in. Add it slowly to some regular conditioned water over the course of about 45 - 60 mins. 100% water changes are also highly recommended. Don't use AQ salt for more than 10 days.

Hope that helps :D
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

I hate to contradict but 76-78 degrees no higher for fin rot. Warmth makes bacteria grow faster. Daily water changes are suggested during treatment. Skip the betta fix that will not help. I've used AQ salt with success. If you've done that already and it didn't help then anti-biotics are in order.I would suggest reading the disease sticky in this section about fin rot treatment.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #4 
flamethebetta

I put flame in the 1.5 gallon aquarium and added aquarium salt but I don't have a heater for it. the thermometer is showing 74 F, is that alright?
flamethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote