Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #1 
gabrielle09

How much do you feed your betta? The Big Debate

Hi there,

I'm just curious how much everyone feeds their bettas and what they feed them. I have heard from friends and read online that some people feed their bettas once a week, some feed them six days a week and skip the seventh, some feed them every second day and some feed them every day. Also there is a variety of things that you can feed them, brine shrimp. blood worms, pellets, flakes... so what does everyone feed their bettas?

I feed my bettas two pellets nearly every morning six days a week. Sometimes I switch it up and feed them flakes one day or brine shrimp but for the most part I stick to pellets. It seems to be working for me, I've had my one betta for over two years and I've never had a single problem with him.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 
Stone

2 times a day 6 days a week and one fo the "meals" they usually get a treat of frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp, and 1 day fasting
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

All my fish, including the bettas, eat NLS Thera A exclusively. They eat their fill and the snails get the rest - I don't count pellets. They get fed most days.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 
FirstBetta

I feed my betta NLS betta formula .5mm size about a 1/4 of the scoop that came with the Ocean Nutrition Betta food I bought originally every day. The bowl of the scoop is about 3/16" dia. (4.5 mm) Occasionally I feed a few frozen bloodworms for a treat.

I've had him for a few months and he seems fine except he is the most atypical betta that I've seen or heard about. He patrols his 5.5G planted tank (I call it his jungle) most of the time, occasionally hides in his sunken hollow log. Comes to the front of the tank when anyone approaches, if I put my finger on the glass at the front of the tank he will dart away for an inch or two or completely ignore it. Totally ignored a ping pong ball. He will come to the surface to feed. He totally ignored a makeup mirror (both sides) I held up to the front of the tank.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Haha my fish would all say not enough!

But all of my wild bettas are not very big and therefore, don't have to eat a lot of food before they are full.

I am really irregular with my feedings so some weeks they may go a couple of days without food before I throw a whole heap in.

At the moment I am out of live blackworms, but when I have them on hand, my fish would usually get a small serving of these daily. Every two or three days, they might get either grindals, white worms or frozen foods such as brine shrimp or bloodworms.

Now it is warmer they also get regular feedings of mosquito larvae.

Unfortunately, most of my wilds don't 'do' pellets. For the one tank that does, they get pellets daily (NLS 1mm) and then their diet also supplemented with the above foods.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6 
sugarunicorn

I just keep an eye on him - I normally do 6 days a week and one fast day.

However, he's a bit of a pig and can get bloated at times when he tries to eat my cories' catfish wafer - if he's still looking a bit rotund when I wake up the next day, then I skip that day's feeding. It always seems to clear things up.

I feed 4-6 NLS betta pellets once a day, and frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp as the occasional treat.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #7 
southernmdman

After seeing how the Omega One pellets expand when wet, 2 or 3 pellets a day, a frozen blood worm or two for desert, and nothing on Sunday.
southernmdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #8 
Polkadot

I feed my boys NLS pellets,my Veiltail boys have 4 each twice a day & my Plakat boy has 6 each twice a day.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I feed 4 NLS pellets, twice a day, six days a week.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #10 
carrohason

I feed two of my boys 2 pellets twice a day, and the other a small amount of flakes (pellets get stuck in his mouth because he's smaller than the other two). I fast them on Wednesdays.
carrohason is offline   Reply With Quote