Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 
kefinlin

How Do I Help Fin Regrow?

Hi everyone! I just bought a halfmoon betta last week named Finnegan! I noticed that when I bought my betta, his tail was a little ripped towards the top corner, which I assumed to be from neglect of care during its time at Petco. I was just wondering, besides keeping the water clean... What are some things I can do to help the fin regrow? Are there any foods or medicine out there for fin regrowth?

Some info about Finnegan's living situation:
He lives alone in a 5 gal tank w/ filter (although keep it off most of the time).
water conditioner: Prime
water change plans: 50% every 4 days
kefinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Clean water is the best thing you can do. Why do you only turn the filter on occasionally? That doesn't really do much good...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

I have found that clean water and using Indian Almond Leaves helps with fin regrowth/repair.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #4 
kefinlin

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Clean water is the best thing you can do. Why do you only turn the filter on occasionally? That doesn't really do much good...
I might be wrong, but I've read that bettas aren't too good of swimmers... so I don't want him to be tired out from the current. Do you think I should have it on 24/7?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #5 
Dwarden3

The filter doesn't do its job if it is not on all the time ( it can be turned off for a little bit during maintenance and moving). If the current is too strong, then you can baffle the filter with a plastic bottle or a sponge, there are various threads on how to do it. I know that in my brother's 5gal, it was too strong so we baffled it and it worked just fine!
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

yeah bettas prefer still waters but a filter is still recommended to maintain water quality. What kind of filter do you have? internal power filters can be waaay too strong for bettas but some of them you can adjust the flow rate. I used box/corner filters and I know a lot of people on here use sponge filters.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #7 
kefinlin

Ok! I will look into baffling the filter. I also need to get more hiding places for Finnegan.

I have the fluval spec V tank that comes with a filter on the side. Here's a pic from petco: http://www.petco.com/assets/product_...561004244C.jpg
Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

About 6 months ago I got a betta that had no fins. Petsmart gave him to me. It wasn't fin rot. Some people said it looked like he'd bitten them off. I was told to put him in clean, warm water with some stresscoat and a bit of salt. Within a few weeks the transformation was remarkable. He had regrowth and was such a beautiful fish. I bated to have to give him up when I moved. He's the one in my avatar.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote