Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #1 
MunchMeister

Buying heater?

I'll probably be going to Walmart or Petco for tank supplies later on, so I'm wondering, is 50 watt any good for a 5 gallon tank? And what kind of common brand that's not too expensive would be good? Do most heaters turn off and on by themselves to regulate the temperature steadily?

Two more questions: do filters such as the one that comes with the 5 Gallon Hawkeye come with bacteria in the filter? Or will we need live bacteria from somewhere to get them?

Are all conditioners a liquid bottle like Prime? I thought they were machines like filters, but I'm not sure.
MunchMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #2 
litelboyblu

im subscribing i need to know !
litelboyblu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #3 
sugarunicorn

You can actually probably get away with a 25W. Hydor Theo and Eheim Jagers are both good ones. You'll have to establish your own bacteria - I believe there is a sticky on this somewhere in the forum. Tetra SafeStart can help get things kick started, but you'll still need to go through the cycling process.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 
SalsaMom

I have the Hawkeye 5 gallon tank from Walmart.
I am putting a 25 watt Hydor Theo that I ordered from Foster & Smith - this particular heater does turn itself off and on and you set what temp you want the water at. Some heaters don't.
I also snagged a thermometer to go in the tank as a double-check.

You'll have to add the bacteria in. I'm trying Dr Tom's per a suggestion on another post on this board (found it at Foster & Smith too and due to temperatures along my shipping route I ordered it from F&S thinking the happy bacteria should survive the trip - extreme heat/cold can kill it).
**Edited to say you don't HAVE to add the bacteria in - but for tanks I've done in the past I prefer to. I think if you get a good bacteria starter it just helps jump-start your tank cycle and makes life easier on your fish since the good bacteria is in there to start breaking down the fish waste. Still have to monitor closely though and be ready for extra water changes in the beginning if need be. I plan to put the bacteria starter in the day I put the fish in.

Water conditioners are liquids you put in the water to remove/treat the chlorine and other chemicals in your water, so they don't kill your fish.
Not sure what you mean by a machine - unless you've come across reactors, skimmers, UV sterilizers and all that fun stuff while researching tank supplies. Those are other things entirely

Last edited by SalsaMom; 09-19-2013 at 01:01 PM.
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchMeister View Post
I'll probably be going to Walmart or Petco for tank supplies later on, so I'm wondering, is 50 watt any good for a 5 gallon tank? And what kind of common brand that's not too expensive would be good? Do most heaters turn off and on by themselves to regulate the temperature steadily?

Two more questions: do filters such as the one that comes with the 5 Gallon Hawkeye come with bacteria in the filter? Or will we need live bacteria from somewhere to get them?

Are all conditioners a liquid bottle like Prime? I thought they were machines like filters, but I'm not sure.
Others have answered the filter/bacteria issue. I'll try to help on the heater. The wattage of a heater for tanks will determine how fast the heater will heat up the tank. Please do not consider a preset heater some don't even have a thermostat they are on all the time an the tank temperature will vary with the room temperature. You can put a 200W heater in a 5G tank if it physically fits. You won't harm the fish. The larger the watts the faster a tank will come up to the set temperature.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

A general rule of thumb is 1 watt per liter minimum

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #7 
cowboy

Yes don't consider a preset! I went against some good advice to try and heat three tanks on a budget so I bought 3 hagen c10 heaters they were small and I only have 2 gallons. They are rated to get the tank to 78 but the majority of the week it's been 74 and once 76. Yes they are ok but I will be buying them good ones slowly. No presets.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #8 
Polkadot

I too agree with getting an adjustable heater,the others just seem too dangerous.If you have an adjustable heater 50W would be fine in a 5 gallon.A great product for adding beneficial bacteria is Seachem Stability.And Seachem Prime is a really great water conditioner.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
A general rule of thumb is 1 watt per liter minimum

R
Yup. Five watts/gal, I always say

Excellent advice from SalsaMom. Will you please remember to tell me all abuot how Dr Tim's One-and-Only works for you? I track these things. Thanks.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #10 
SalsaMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Yup. Five watts/gal, I always say

Excellent advice from SalsaMom. Will you please remember to tell me all abuot how Dr Tim's One-and-Only works for you? I track these things. Thanks.
Can do Hallyx. I believe you are the one that tipped me off to the Dr Toms anyway.
The videos and articles on his website were interesting.
Hopefully the Betta tank will go smoothly. I've never done a tank smaller than 20 gallons!
Posted via Mobile Device
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conditioner, filter, hawkeye, heater, watt