Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #1 
SpiderGirlxX

Never seen this disease before, poor girl, please help :(

Hey guys/gals,

I never posted here before but I have an emergency. I ordered this girl from LiveAquaria on a whim for my sorority while I was shopping for more schooling fish for my display tank, and she came like this today:

[IMG][/IMG]

Does anyone know what this is?? :( shes in her own 5.5 quarantine tank right now w/ IAL, some general cure (incase of parasites) and some half dose of quick cure to woard off ick, just in case, because of her weakened state. It almost looks like her scales are melting :(
SpiderGirlxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Saddleback columnaris? anyone else thinking the same thing? Otherwise it could just be colour change I have had some bettas that appeared solid and non-marbles completely change in 1-2 weeks and it freaked me out at the time. Otherwise it may just be injury.

Be very careful though as if it is columnaris then it is very very contagious and can be difficult to cure. Please get some other opinions first but be extremely hygienic and keep her quarantined. Furan based antibiotics are a good treatment.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #3 
beautiful Betta

I am not sure what we are supposed to be looking at, I am guessing the pale patch, it looks like her colouration to me, maybe you were sent a different fish, but she looks alright to me, fins good, no white spot. how long have you had her? she might just need a little time to settle down from the stress of the journey if she is inactive? is she eating? sick fish generally don't eat.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

At the bottom she states it looks like the fish's scales are melting. I've read melt is a form of fungus so the General cure could help. A digging parasite I would think could cause the some effect. What color is the affect area?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 
SpiderGirlxX

Veggiegirl, I will definetly look into saddleback columnaris - going to research it right after this!

Beautiful Betta - funny you mention that, While i was freaking out, I researched and heard of a betta "marbling" - Ive never heard of it before, maybe thats it, because she is acting great, flaring, eating, darting around. If it is, that would be pretty cool! I didnt see a picture of her before I ordered - I dont breed bettas and dont have any interest in their looks, I am just a sucker for getting them out of horrible conditions wheither they are gorgeous, ugly, fat, skinny, sick, healthy - Id help them all if I could lol

Jadablu - So far the affected area is white, the other side of her looks the exact same - I have no idea if its normal for her since I just got her today.. Hope shes not sick :( if she is, I have everything on hand :) I have a habit of saving bettas from "certain stores" and nursing them back to health as my hobby - Im a nurse, so its my specialty! :)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 
beautiful Betta

if she's eating ok and she has stated being more active, I would do nothing in terms of treatment, you said she just arrived today, the stress could cause inactiveness. I would just give her time, and just keep in mind some of the other suggestions, but if she was really sick I think her general appearance behaviour would show this, and you quarantining her is the best thing you can do and observe her for a while, I have no idea what this saddleback is never heard of it? so I cant comment, but I would just observe her if she is picking up and keep a close eye on her. Treating healthy fish when not necessary no matter how good are intentions are can result in killing the fish as well.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #7 
Weaver

Now mind you, Marbles will change. A lot apparently. Like random patches of color will disappear and re-appear. My Pastel boy apparently has marbling and poof! One day, he had a blotch of blue on his peduncle!

I think it's marbling as the scales are still there, just skin/white colored now.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

It can take a long time for colors to settle in. Were it not for my sympathy bettas I would not have any. My sympathy and interest in returning to the fish hobby brought home two surprise bettas. I have so many now and have rescued plenty. I hope she does well let us know. The generel cure won't hurt it will rid her of parasites which many bettas arrive with anyway. I'd finish the treatment with it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #9 
veggiegirl

Saddleback columnaris is a bacterial disease which often begins with the formation of white or discoloured patches on the body of the fish and most commonly in front of the dorsal fin. The patch usually are uniform on both sides of the fish and because of the location of the lesion like patches it is referred to as 'saddleback' columnaris.

The disease is most common in guppies and live bearers but it can be found in any species of fish. There are several strains of columnaris bacteria some of which are extremely agressive killing an entire tank of fish within a couple of hours while other fish survive weeks to months battling the disease.

In later stages of the disease the white patches become lesions and later even open ulcers. The fish also display tatty fins and in the last stages partial paralysis can occur causing the inability to swim rising to the surface becomes difficult and the body swings from side to side.

Some claim to have cured columnaris with salt however if the disease is allowed to develop then treatment becomes increasingly difficult and mortality rates are high. For this reason a good antibiotic (furan based seem most successful) are best used in order to catch the disease early.

Please do not panic though your fish may simply be experiencing marbling and if at this stage she is otherwise perfectly healthy I would just keep her separated from the others and keep a close eye on her.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #10 
SpiderGirlxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
if she's eating ok and she has stated being more active, I would do nothing in terms of treatment, you said she just arrived today, the stress could cause in-activeness. I would just give her time, and just keep in mind some of the other suggestions, but if she was really sick I think her general appearance behavior would show this, and you quarantining her is the best thing you can do and observe her for a while, I have no idea what this saddleback is never heard of it? so I cant comment, but I would just observe her if she is picking up and keep a close eye on her. Treating healthy fish when not necessary no matter how good are intentions are can result in killing the fish as well.
I will definitely do that. I will throw some carbon in her filter in the morning if she looks good, and replace her IAL after the medication has been removed. It was kind of weird, she arrived in blue water whereas my rummynose and rasboras were not. Maybe they suspected something and did it as a precaution.

Weaver - I dont know how to multiquote, lol but I will start taking pictures of her if she perks up and is in fact a marble. Im excited, out of all the bettas Ive had over the years, I have never had a marble! Never heard of it, honestly in all the years, I only researched diseases (I love pathology - I could read it all day), other than when I first got a betta (housing, compatibility, heater, tank size, the basics, etc..). This would definitely be an adventure if she is one