Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #11 
enembe

His tank is filtered. It's small but it does have a filter. No, I've never tested his water, I don't have the equipment to. :/ it's been 24 hours since I changed his water, though. I just took those pictures though... His gills just look really red when he flares them.

Last edited by enembe; 09-20-2013 at 12:17 AM.
enembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #12 
enembe

Oh and it's 1 am here. :( I didn't get the chlorine remover because I was using bottled water... Yes, I'm a pretty big fish newb. :(
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #13 
beautiful Betta

if, its been over 24hrs and your tank is filtered the chlorine would have gassed off by now anyway. ph could upset him, but if you don't know what it was in your old place then it really isn't going to make much difference now. how is he doing now is he still looking unwell? do you have carbon in your filter that would have taken some of the chlorine out, although if the carbon is old and never been changed then maybe not. I hope he pulls through. Testing the water for ammonia and nitrate is the other thing to be aware of, and the chlorine would have affected your good bacteria in the filter, maybe set it back a bit. fingers crossed for him.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #14 
enembe

He's still alive and swimming around seemingly happily. I'm going to look into getting all the test kits and the chlorine stuff today, maybe a bigger tank depending on cost.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #15 
enembe

Well, I noticed in the pictures he's got black around his gills and aside that weren't there when I took the pics last night. What might that be?

I can't get a great picture, he won't so swimming around so much...

Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #16 
beautiful Betta

are you talking about the dark colouration marking individual scales around the gill area, or the frilly dark bit within the gills? the frilly bit is normal, that's what they flare and display with. the colouration on the scales I couldn't see in the original pictures. could be a result of stress caused by a ammonia or nitrite peak, could even be ph related. until you get the test kits I would recommend cutting back on feeding which will slow any ammonia, nitrite build ups. some fish will swim funny with a ammonia peak, fins clamped and close to body almost like a slither/shimmy action.

I am glad to hear he is still ok, hopefully once you get your test kits you will have a better idea of what's going on in your fish's water condition.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote