Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
beautiful Betta

New to forum

Hi, I am new to this forum but not to fish keeping, I have around 10 years experience in fish keeping. that ranges from tropical to marine. Now however the only fish I have is my single male betta. Out of all the fish I have kept over the years the betta has always been a favourite of mine, they just seem to have personality. hopefully the pictures will have worked. his home is a 17 litre tank which is just under 5 gallons, it has a built in filter and he has a heater in there also. He is a salamander halfmoon, I think he may also be rosetail. he gets fed once a day one day pellets the next a tropical frozen mix. He has never had a fasting day. I have had him 9 months and he had big fins when I purchased him, so I am guessing his real age is nearly if not already 2 years old, he has never been a massive flare up type of guy he is a pretty laid back guy, unless he thinks it's food time, lol.

It is a little sad but soon I will be returning to the UK, my fish will be staying here in the care of my ex husband who ran off with another woman. Anyway the fish will be ok, the tanks we had over the years were a joint hobby. Now I intend to get a new betta once in the UK, its been a long time since I was there and if the range of betta fish is about the same then a blue or red veil tail is about the standard betta I could get from a store. I have already decided I will buy a 19 litre fluval spec tank. and I am seriously looking at buying a import betta from Thailand. Given my experience with fish keeping, I know about the tank cycling stages and believe me I will be testing the water twice a day for any traces of ammonia, nitrite. If I don't overfeed I think I will be fine and to have prepared water ready for a change if needed. Just wondered if anyone else has a cycled a new tank with a import and been ok? Also has anybody used the bottled beneficial bacteria that is supposed to help kick start your filtration system, that was something else I was looking at? Any thoughts please would be appreciated.

thanks Jenny

Last edited by beautiful Betta; 09-19-2013 at 10:50 PM.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #3 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.
thank you.
dramaqueen.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 
popcorndeer

i love your fish his fins just look so pretty
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #5 
bambijarvis

I've never used a quickstart personally but I plan to with my next ten gallon.
From what I hear most don't work.
BIO-SPIRA/Tetra safestart is supposed to be fine as long as you don't overstock and the bottle hasn't gotten to hot.(bacteria need to stay cool so they don't die off in the bottle).

Your boy is lovely. Sad you have to leave him behind. I think there are other members here from the UK, maybe you can find a breeder to get your new fish from(unless you like blue/red VTs, in which case I'm sure they'd be lucky to have you as a new owner).
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 
beautiful Betta

hi bampijarvis, thanks for your reply, the bottled bacteria I was looking at was made by nutrafin called cycle and the review it got from petsathome (a bit like a petco) was really good. So I thought it cant do any harm, I am personally like you not entirely convinced those things really work, but it might help. here's a link to the product http://http://www.petsathome.com/sho...nd-250ml-31878

It would be good if there are any UK members about, what are the Betta stocks like in the UK? I have no idea can you even get a halfmoon over there? I just love the halfmoons they are my favourite, I have nothing against veil tails and wouldn't be surprised if ended up with a veil tail on a sympathy buy feeling sorry for the little guy in his cup, or maybe tank, when I lived in the uk before they were just put in the tanks with other tropical fish. but it may have changed.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #7 
Bettabehave

hi beautiful betta, i'm in the uk, when i bought mine they had quite a few different types, half moon, dumbos and crowntails also for sale. Some really pretty fish.
Bettabehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #8 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettabehave View Post
hi beautiful betta, i'm in the uk, when i bought mine they had quite a few different types, half moon, dumbos and crowntails also for sale. Some really pretty fish.
thanks bettabehave, may ask where you bought your betta from? was it a big chain pet store or a local aquatic shop?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 
Bettabehave

It was a local one, i only really kno of pets at home as a chain store here in uk ive noticed they tend to keep them in with the other fish and are mostly red or blue veil ones but i've noticed a few local ones have been stocking different types thou, there is a few on ebay too.
Bettabehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #10 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettabehave View Post
It was a local one, i only really kno of pets at home as a chain store here in uk ive noticed they tend to keep them in with the other fish and are mostly red or blue veil ones but i've noticed a few local ones have been stocking different types thou, there is a few on ebay too.
thanks for that, there a couple of good fish stores that I remember in Swindon which is where I am from in the UK, and found web sites for most of them so they will be my first investigation. If no joy I might go the import route unless I feel sorry for some little guy somewhere, which is a big chance, lol the only thing with that is, it's a bit of a double edged knife, yes you are saving a betta, but at the same time you are in a way supporting their trade