Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #1 
Elena

New 2.5 gal and heater question

Here is Rocky in his 2.5 gal in my office. These pictures really don't do him justice- he is much prettier in person. I got him a Hydor mini heater but did not know if it can be used without gravel since I never had one before. I do not plan to add any gravel in his tank- lower maintenance :) So can the heater just hang on one side of the tank? I would think so but just wanted to make sure.
Attached Images

Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very nice tank!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I just bought one for my hospital tank. I don't put gravel in it since I to clean way more often then the rest of my tanks. I have yet to use it, but I plan on just putting it in there. I'm not sure how it's suppose to go in though. I figured I'd figure it out when I get to that point. :P Good luck with it!
I was planning to buy that same tank as my hospital tank, but they were sold out when I got there. I ended up getting a critter keeper. I have the same barrel hiding place for it though! If you don't have one already, make sure you have something covering the top. Bettas like to jump, and he just might try to make a break for it!
BTW, very pretty Betta!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

Very pretty betta! Nice tank too. I don't know about the heater, haven't used one yet. I live in GA so my tanks stay between 78 and 80.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #5 
rb500

I bought a small heater by topfin. It came with suction cups so I hang it on the side
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #6 
rb500

And nice tank and pretty betta!

--I just noticed I passed 300, wow time flies
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #7 
Elena

Thank you for the nice comments :)
I know he should probably be in something bigger but at the office there is no way. He looks very happy though and I found him this morning with a huge bubblenest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
If you don't have one already, make sure you have something covering the top. Bettas like to jump, and he just might try to make a break for it!
BTW, very pretty Betta!
Thank you angelic. I do have a cover- it came with the tank. It's not a very good one though. It's a piece of glass that fits the top basically. Doesn't leave room for filter or any air space so I have to push it forward a tad to make sure that he has air. Hope he won't jump through that! Lol

Last edited by Elena; 08-10-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #8 
rb500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb500 View Post
I bought a small heater by topfin. It came with suction cups so I hang it on the side
And with the top being weird, not letting you have room, the heater on the side you only need the cable to poke through the top.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #9 
RoseyD

I bought a hydor heater for my 5 gal. eclipse and it heats too warm. I am lucky I checked ... a day later, but the fish were still ok... luckily - the water was warm - not the slightest hint of coolness to it - it was like bathwater...

I immediately unplugged the heater, and it hasn't been on since. It's summer so I don't really need to have a heater on yet. I wish they made heaters for smaller tanks that allowed for temp. control!

As far as I'm concerned, the hydor heater is a peace of ****e. To sell it for tanks 5 gallons and less - and it works that 'hot' on the 5 gallon - I can well imagine fish in a smaller gallon tank would have boiled away.

Be really careful if you're planning to use the hydor. Don't just plug it and go out for the day. It may not be every heater that runs this 'warm' - but, if they don't have a consistent 'safe' product - it's just scary to trust it with our fish.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #10 
Elena

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
Be really careful if you're planning to use the hydor. Don't just plug it and go out for the day. It may not be every heater that runs this 'warm' - but, if they don't have a consistent 'safe' product - it's just scary to trust it with our fish.
Thank you! I am glad I did not use it yet. I checked the temp today and it was at 75 so I didn't feel that it was needed. With a 2.5 gal I really want to be there to monitor. Rocky is very active and looks happy. If he was cold he would be lethargic, right?