Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #11 
WhitneyLin

The plastic wrap clings so its not horrible. Just annoying when trying to remove it with my hands full, since it likes to stick to itself easily.

I never thought of picture frame glass. There was a buy separately cover, I believe, that was glass. However it sits really close to the water on a built in ledge thing on my tank. I was definitely worried about oxygen, and the fact that it didnt leave room to stick the heater cord through.

I dont currently have a lamp on him. He sits by a north facing window so he gets lots of natural light but no direct sunlight. When it gets dark I just turn on my room light till about 11pm. I'll turn it off then so he still gets the day/night cycle. I have an LED light in my room as a low light. So its not completely dark in my room (yes I have issues with complete darkness. Its best not to ask the reasons. lol).

I'll look into a lamp if I decide to do live plants in the other tank.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #12 
Blue Fish

It sounds like you saw a versa-top, it's just a top made of plexi. :) From what I understand there is a portion on those that is made of plastic and can be cut to size to allow for cords, heaters, and filters. But...I've never actually had one, so I can't really give any more specifics. :P

Picture frame glass works great, and it doesn't have to cover the entire tank, I always left an inch or so on each end for air flow, and to have room for filters, cords, airlines, stuff like that. :) (And you can hit any thrift store and pick up an old picture for a buck or two if you don't have any spare frames at home.) ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #13 
WhitneyLin

Oh it didnt seem like it. But oh well.

I might do that. Its cheap enough that I wont care if I end up getting rid of my 2.5g and just having two 5g cycled tanks if the first 5g is successful.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote