Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 
Nelsonfish

Decor help!

Hi iv'e been CRAVING D.I.Y. fish decoration for my new betta i want the theme to be... i know i know but mine craft. I have an app that can print out little pop ups of different animals and blocks and stuff i was wondering though would i use like plywood and glue the shapes on or could i use paper and just like make it water proof some how? and how would i make all of this "fish friendly" the bettas health is most important!
Nelsonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #2 
leejohn02

To make them fish friendly especially for a Betta make sure you have no rough or sharp edges that they could tear there fins on, as far as wood and glue goes make sure there aquarium safe, have you not thought of making them out of plastic, it would be more time consuming but would be safer
leejohn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Almost all commercially prepared wood has some chance of having seriously nasty chemicals in it, from arsenic on down. I would NOT use wood for your project.

As for waterproofing paper...The only thing I can think of is trying to laminate it...and even then I'm not sure it would work being submerged permanently. It would be cheap though, and worth an experiment. :)

I almost wonder if you could do something like shrinky dinks? Please tell me you know what these are so that I don't feel terribly old, lol! ;)

Another option is Styrofoam. It'll have to be well weighted, but it doesn't break down in the aquarium, and you can paint it with latex NON-TOXIC craft paints. After you paint them, you'll need to apply several layers of clear-coat Krylon Fusion spray paint, and then let the whole thing dry and cure really well. (All the smell should be gone), then soak a couple of days before adding to the aquarium.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #4 
Nelsonfish

Thanks! but im deciding on doing a music theme if you want to check that out on my profile and who doesnt know what shrinky dinks are!? lol i used to do the hello kitty ones because most of my cousins were girls XD
Nelsonfish is offline   Reply With Quote