Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 
sholee

Water Changes?

I tested my water with the API master test kit, my pH level is at 7.2 and my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite level is at 0ppm according to the color chart. I was wondering if i still need to do a water change considering i haven't done one in a week and my tank is a 2 gallon tank.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What is the stocking, filter, any live plants....

Regardless of the readings I would still recommend twice weekly water changes unless you have live active growing plants......

By the numbers the tank isn't cycled and you also have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we don't test for that can be harmful to long term fish health that have to be removed manually....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
sholee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What is the stocking, filter, any live plants....

Regardless of the readings I would still recommend twice weekly water changes unless you have live active growing plants......

By the numbers the tank isn't cycled and you also have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we don't test for that can be harmful to long term fish health that have to be removed manually....
I don't have any live plants, i do use a filter that came with the tank. I'll definitely do a water change today, thank you very much!
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

By the numbers the tank isn't cycled ....
what are the numbers for a cycled tank?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Water prams for an established nitrogen cycle-

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm...less than 20ppm-(long term high nitrate can cause health issue)
pH-varies-best to avoid extremes and sudden changes-Bettas generally can adapt to the source water pH.

In a 2gal filtered tank without live plants-water changes of twice weekly 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow to the beneficial bacteria.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote