Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #1 
Mitra

Am i risking my betta's life? (adding new fish)

Hi i was given an extremely overstocked 10 gallon (2 goldfish, 3 neon tetra, 2 amano or ghost shrimp and a baby pleco. AMmonia and nitrites are through the roof so I took the neon tetras and shrimp out (only found 1, assuming other one got eaten as I saw the goldfish chasing them around) as I can house these in my 10 gallon cycled heated and planted 10 gallon. It is divided, male betta on one half and 2 african dwarf frogs on other. Since these neon tetras and the 1 shrimp were in a tank before, do I have to quarantine them (they will all go on african dwarf frog side)?They have been in the previous tank for a couple months, and i've owned them for 2 weeks now. Right now i am acclimating them in a ziplock bag but I am scared to add them as I would be devastated if i unknowingly gave a disease to my betta. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ps. I have a 40 gallon tank ready for the goldfish and pleco (temporary for the pleco) hopefully by next week.

Last edited by Mitra; 09-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 
Marlow

I would say you should, just to be safe. Also, I don't know how they are going to fit in the divided tank, unless you take the divider out..? Neon tetras are also very nippy in smaller tanks, so that would also cause your betta trouble..Mine tore apart a guppy of mine, and he wasn't even that fancy.. Why don't you just put them in a gallon or so tank or a tote until you can move your goldfish? That way you won't disturb your betta and frogs.
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 
Blue Fish

I +1 Marlow about putting them into a container, even Rubbermaid, just until they can get into their own home. This way you avoid the QT issue all together, and no-one is going to get beaten up even after the QT. :)

Rubbermaids are cheap and make *great* places to stash fish. :) All of my QT tanks are Rubbermaid, and I keep a variety of sizes, from 1g's to 10g's. When they're not in use, I store aquarium equipment in them. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #4 
Mitra

I have a 1.5 gallon tank I can use with my 10 gallons water? Will adding the shrimp in the 10 gallon be alright, as that's the only permanent occupant i want with my frogs and betta. Tetras will go back with the goldfish eventually.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #5 
Marlow

You have to QT the shrimp too, after that, I'd put them in the frog side..Bettas may eat shrimp :( Of course...I know nothing about frogs. And yes you can QT the neons and the shrimp in the 1.5 gallon for now.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #6 
Mitra

Thanks for the advice. The 3 neon tetras and shrimp in the 1.5 with gravel 2 small caves, 1 silk plant and 1 small real plant (for the shrimp). How long does the shrimp have to be QT for? Invertebrate can pass stuff to fish?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #7 
Marlow

I find a week is fine, some people think longer than that, so it's up to you really.
And yes anything that's in one tank can pass something along to another, it doesn't matter if it's fish, shrimp, snails, or plants.