Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #1 
Karalyn219

Unhappy What did I do wrong?! My Betta died unexpectedly :(

I bought my first male Betta yesterday afternoon, along with a Betta starting kit and everything else I would need to care for him. I did everything the instructions in the starter kit said, including measuring the water, conditioning it, etc.

I woke up this morning and he was dead :( I'm not sure what I could have done wrong, as I fed him the proper amount of pellets, used room temperature tap water, and put the correct amount of water conditioner in. Maybe he was just sick when I got him? I hope someone can help me debunk the mystery. Thanks!
Karalyn219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I'm so sorry about your betta. I don't think it was anything you did wrong. He was probably sick when you got him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #3 
Karalyn219

Do the fish they sell at Petsmart/Petco tend to be more 'faulty' than those would be at a specialty store? My sister had the same problem with one, yet she had another from Petco that lasted quite a bit of time.

It was just really disappointing, he was so cute and I was so excited to have a new companion now I'm hesitant as to if I should get a new guy.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I haven't had any problems with the ones at my Petsmart. Sometimes a petstore can get a bad shipment. I think you should get another one. Maybe try a different petstore.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #5 
Karalyn219

I think I'll try it out again...also another question: I know a few people who DO NOT have water heaters for their Bettas, but I've been told (and I also read) that they do need the heaters to maintain the perfect temperature. I have a small little tank, maybe about 1 liter, or maybe a little over. Would you suggest getting a heater?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heaters in my larger tanks. My gallon containers don't have heaters. I keep mine in a warm room upstairs. It really is best for them to have heaters, especially if you live somewhere that gets pretty cold in winter. I don't know about putting a heater in a gallon. If you could upgrade to at least 2 gallons then you would be fine with a 25 watt heater.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #7 
Vikki81207

I'm so sorry about your fish. Like drama said, if you have a smaller home for your betta, if you just keep him in the warmest room he will be fine. I've had no problem with Petsmart. I would just try another store. Sometimes pet stores just get bad shipments.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #8 
Karalyn219

Thanks for all the information drama, hopefully my next fish will at least make it through the night.

Vikki: I got my fish at Petsmart, they weren't very helpful, granted every store is different! They did have everything I needed though, including a wide variety of Bettas, tanks, food, etc. After hearing that stores can get bad shipments I think I'll try Petco tonight. Hopefully it will work out better! I wish I could buy all the Bettas, I hate seeing them in those little tiny cramped cups :(
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #9 
RoseyD

Ah Karalyn, join the club - that's why I bought 7 girls last month in one weekend, and how I bought 6 others last weekend. Your heart goes out seeing creatures suffer.

I bought my first batch from petsmart, and 5 out of the 7 survived and are thriving. My second batch came from Petco. The prices seemed a bit 'higher' at petco, but the branch I went to had a sign up that 'recommends' keeping bettas in 10 gallons. I love that they had that on their display even if the cups were their method of sales...

But at least they bag up the bettas - and don't sell them in the cups - it makes it more telling to the customers that the bettas shouldn't live in cups if they don't come as part of the purchase.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #10 
dr2b

I found I have had good luck with Petsmart bettas. I had a Petco betta that died in less than a week recently. I am so sorry to hear your lil guy didn't last to long - it's so easy to get attached to them so fast.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote