Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #11 
TianTian

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your Betta.... but all in all, I'm sure you did all you could.

Try another store, wait a few weeks for another shipment; you can do all sorts of options that have been covered above already.
Let us know how things go!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #12 
Siejuban

I am new here too, I just start to keep Betta again after years.

The same thing happened to me for the first Betta I bought last week, doing what the betta kit instruction told to set up the tank, after a few hours, there were fungus on the betta's body, and next morning it died. So, next time, before I buy another one, I set up the tank again, waited 2 days, then buy a new one, and let the container that come with the fish floating on the water, and exchanging the water of both tank and container for 2 hours, and release the betta to the tank, it is a few days now, the betta doing fine and eating good. Just ordered a bigger 3 gal tank for the betta, so it will have a better place to live.
Siejuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #13 
Karalyn219

Thanks for all the info guys! :) I'm going to the Petco across from where I work today after I get off my shift, I'll purchase a new little cutie and a heater while I'm at it. I hope this all works!! *Keeping my fingers crossed*
Karalyn219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #14 
Jynx

heys- just make sure you buy a healthy fish- make sure he has nice smooth sides and doesn't have puffiness in the eyes or gills. Also I find it's easier to find a healthy betta if you choose from the dark colored ones because illness will turn them pale. If a fish is already a very light color it can be harder to tell if he's sick. Also he shouldn't be lying limp at the bottom of the cup or gasping for air.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #15 
Jazattackk

Maybe the betta was stressed from moving homes. I've had fish die the day after getting them with my community tank, and it's not becuase I did anything wrong. They were scared and stressed
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #16 
Karalyn219

Hmm..maybe that was my problem...he was an almost opalescent white-colored fish, kind of more yellow than white. When I found him this morning he was lying at the bottom of the tank with engorged gills and a swollen-looking head. Knowing that the darker-colored ones are more healthy will make choosing one easier.

He was very "quiet" from the moment I purchased him, not moving much. Is that a common misconception with Bettas?
Karalyn219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #17 
Jynx

It's not that the darker ones are more healthy- it's just easier to tell if they're sick. And no- bettas should not just be lying limp at the bottom of the cup. If you pick up the cup and he doesn't perk up and look around for the source of the disturbance, he's probably sick. I know it seems mean to just leave a sick fish in the petstore to die- but as a beginner your chances of nursing an already sick fish back to health are almost zero. You need to start off with a healthy one. Look for one that's smooth and shiny. If it's in display mode- flaring out it's fins and trying to attack the fish in neighboring cups that's a good sign. It's also a good sign if there's a bubble nest in the cup, but if the cups are cleaned regularly they might throw them out so it's fine if there's none. Definitely take your time when you're choosing a fish and don't be afraid to ask the salesperson questions, like how long they've been there or when they're expecting a new shipment if you can't find one you like.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #18 
Kim

Well, I think what Jynx is saying is that it is easier to tell if a darker colored betta is sick because you will see that they are pale (a sign of stress) unlike a naturally lighter colored betta such as whites/cellophane/yellows where you can't as easily tell if they are stressed as much. It's more looking for the richness of color rather than the natural color of the betta itself.

For example, my Edelweiss was mostly clear/white in color when I got her. However, once I got her in a nice large, heated tank her body has a more pink, healthy hue to it and she developed a pinkish color on her fins and some pink spots. She also has a spot on her head that didn't show up until she started becoming more healthy. She pretty much still looks the same, but her colors are much more rich indicating that she is healthy and happy :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote