Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #1 
Hankbetta

Unhappy Fins looks shredded, I don't know what happened!!

So I've had Hank since Friday, he got to go into the tank Saturday. I introduced a new Platy into the tank today, wasn't able to be home to watch and see how it went. I came home to find Hanks fins looking like they've been shredded and he just staying in hiding. I thought maybe the new Platy did it so I removed him from the tank and it's just Hank and the Molly now, whom he seems fine with. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to help?! :(

In the attached pictures, the first one is the before, the other three are the after.
Attached Images

Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #2 
dr2b

It might be like what Synthisis is going through with the exploding tail. Do you have a filter? He may have gotten against the intake tube like mine did.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #3 
Hankbetta

Yeah, I was starting to think that that's what had happened since mine likes to wrap around the heat stick, which I have right by the intake tube. So I went and put the pantyhose on it. I'm just not sure what to do from here, I don't want him to get sick and die. I've never really had fish like this before.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #4 
dr2b

I'd do salt baths a few times a day (no more than 5). I actually had to put Flair in the hospital tank when I left for my trip so he would begin healing. He is having fin regrowth now. But I been adding extra salt to his water and he's healing well. Oh and I put panty hose on the intake tube also.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #5 
Hankbetta

Could you post me the link on how to do the salt bath, please? And what kind of salt can I use?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #6 
Kim

I would just watch him for a day or two and keep the water extra clean. If it really is damage done by the platy or the intake tube (which is very likely since the onset was extremely quick) then there is no reason why it shouldn't heal on it's own. You can add a half dose of aquarium salt as a preventative, but beyond that I wouldn't do anything else. You can find aquarium salt in any fish store. In my experience, feeding extra frozen foods in place of his normal foods for a few extra feedings will help him heal faster. It just seems to give them more nutrition which they need to regenerate fins.

I always put some nylon over the filter intake just to be safe, so that is always a good idea.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #7 
Hankbetta

Well this morning he's down just sitting at the bottom of the tank and he has a white splotch on his back and on his fins, so I'm guessing it's necessary to do something from here. But I really have no idea what to do. He didn't have white splotches on his body at all last night, his fins were a little white though.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #8 
Hankbetta

Hank is getting worse.

He's staying near the bottom of the tank, he has a white spot on his back that looks like it's flaking and his fins are a little white in some places. He also seems to be breathing pretty rapid.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #9 
dr2b

How to give a salt bath=> http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=25297
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #10 
Hankbetta

Thank you for all your help guys. Hank died this morning.