Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

Why is fin rot so fustrating?!

So after two and a half weeks of treatment (with medication breaks in between), Shota's fin rot look to have been gone and I happily set up his 3 gallon for the third time, again sterilizing everything in boiling water.

But not even an hour after putting him back in his home, I noticed a tiny hole developing in his dorsal fin.

I wanting to cry ): I don't want to put poor Shota through these continuous treatments, and most of all, I don't want him to suffer from having his fins slowly being eaten away.

I'd try ampicillin but my local aquarium store is having trouble ordering it, their supplier is out so I'll probably have to wait a lot longer to actually get it...

Stupid bacterial fin rot ~_~
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

I know the feeling. Smurfy is still dealing with it as well. After my run of meds on my other fish I lost,I came to the conclusion that sometimes meds are more trouble. So I am just sticking with (and hoping it works) changing her water more often. It doesnt seem to be getting worse,but I dont see any regrowth yet either. So I dunno.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #3 
Sparky

ok you all are scaring me with all these betta problems.....how do you know if you have fin rot?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Yeah ): I wish I could do that too, but I learned last time that if I don't jump to medicine immediately, his fins will disintegrate in a matter of hours. One tiny hole in his caudal tail can eat half his fin in two hours )': It's horrible.

@Sparky: when a fish's fin starts deteriorate and getting shorter. There are two types; Bacterial and Fungal. You can tell the difference between them because Fungal will destroy your fish's fin in a uniform manner, while bacterial will attack random areas.

Usually you can prevent it by cleaning your fish's water frequently D:

Shota got fin rot because I didn't know you had to do a 100% water change every month with his 3 gallon because he had an under gravel filter, so all sorts of bacterial kept developing under his rocks, and he accidentally damaged his fin on one of his plastic plants and the wound got infected ):

Last edited by BakaMandy; 08-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

*sighs* Yeah, it's doing it all over again. Just a few hours later, his caudal and anal fins are all in sheds again. I hate feeling so helpless...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #6 
rb500

Pheonix is being treated right now, the gray is going away but there are more holes and rips now.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #7 
sweetviolets

I have been dealing with it too. My Cobalt has fin rot and velvet. I have done and still do salt baths. He doesn't mind them. I have also tried some medication. He was almost cleared up and I put him back in the tank. I had boiled everything, the rocks and silk plants and all. He got worse within 48 hours.

He does much better with his illnesses without the tank, but he is not as happy. He is much happier with the aquarium. He swims around happily. In the bowl I put in a new hiding place (fake coral made of resin). He stays in there. No swimming around.
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

We are battling a case of fin rot here as well. I gave Antubis a break from the meds and he even blew a nice little bubble nest. Poor little guy. Now he is back on the meds and no more bubbles. :(
I really hope he heals up soon.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I just noticed on Keikos fins some grayish white points coming out from where the rot is. I think he's getting over it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #10 
BakaMandy

So the fin rot is being weird, his dorsal fin heals up quickly but his anal fin doesn't look like it's changing and his caudal fin is getting worst. I'm giving him as many salt baths as i can manage, but there's not much improvement even with medicine (maracyn + maracyn 2 in combination).

I'm trying to get ampicillin in, my local aquarium store is trying to order it in, but their supplier is out of stock and I can't find a website that will ship the medicine to Canada either. ):

I've read that people use penicillin to treat this kind of persistent fin rot, I want to know if I should use this if I can't get the ampicillin in any time soon, because Shota's caudal fin is getting dangerously short and I don't want to sit here helplessly while he is suffering... )':