Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
shadepixie

What's an appropriate light cycle?

I have an Aqueon 50/50 10 watt CFL in Louie's 5.5 gallon tank. I chose this bulb because it specifically was for promoting plant growth. It's very bright,with quite a blue undertone and it makes the colours of the plants and of Louie pop incredibly.
I currently have it set up with a timer to turn on at 2pm and turn off at 10:30pm. The plants seem happy, but I noticed that in the last hour or two that the light is on, Louie glass surfs almost exclusively. I know this sounds stupid, but should Louie's 'bedtime' be earlier? Is 8.5 hours of light sufficient for the plants? Too much? Any advice would be appreciated.
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadepixie View Post
I have an Aqueon 50/50 10 watt CFL in Louie's 5.5 gallon tank. I chose this bulb because it specifically was for promoting plant growth. It's very bright,with quite a blue undertone and it makes the colours of the plants and of Louie pop incredibly.
I currently have it set up with a timer to turn on at 2pm and turn off at 10:30pm. The plants seem happy, but I noticed that in the last hour or two that the light is on, Louie glass surfs almost exclusively. I know this sounds stupid, but should Louie's 'bedtime' be earlier? Is 8.5 hours of light sufficient for the plants? Too much? Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming that the tank is in a room that receives NO natural light, I would personally have the light set to about 8 hours, unless you're trying to propogate plants, or breed your betta (in which case, 12 hours is recommended).

If the room DOES receive natural light, he may be picking up on the fact that he's seeing the sun come up about 7ish, but not go down until much much later than normal. Even in High summer, if you live in a more temperate area the days are only about 13 hours of light. Maybe you should try pushing your timer back to, say, noon to 8 pm.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #3 
shadepixie

I live in a loft with big windows and skylights and the room gets a LOT of light, even though he is at least 15 feet from a window. I set the timer to go off at 9 tonight, maybe he needs more dark-time. I'll put it to 8pm in a few days. Thanks for your advice!
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #4 
TakingthePlunge

Wow, so yes, that's probably the problem. You have his poor inner fishy clock seeing daylight from about 7 am to 10 pm. That is a LOT of daylight, 15 hrs. Towards the end of the day, his inner alarm clock is probably going off and telling him he needs to be asleep, because it should be dark, but it's not.

Let us know how it goes? I hope this fixes the problem!

Last edited by TakingthePlunge; 09-22-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: adding letters to th ends of words because my fingers work faster than the keyboard some days...
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote