Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #1 
Hankbetta

Did a full tank water change....

waited about 12 hours before I released my betta back into the tank, but now he's just hanging out at the bottom swimming around. When before he would swim up higher in the tank. Should I be worried?? He seems mostly fine now, but still just hanging out by the bottom of the tank...

I used the stress coat last night, then just put the stress zyme in a little bit ago and released him into the tank being as I couldn't find anything that said I needed to wait to put my fish in the new tank water (they were on the little trial size packages). And this isn't the first time he was in the tank, when I first got him, I had spring water in there with out the conditioner because I didn't want him to have to stay in his bag for long. He seemed just fine in that water but a funny smell was coming from the tank so I washed everything and put him in a smaller container that isn't filtered with just conditioned tap water which is what he's in now.
Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #2 
dr2b

You really don't need to wait 12 hours to put your betta back in. Usually just acclimating them for 15-30 minutes to their new water works just fine. He is probably just acclimating to his new home...give him some time and he'll become more active.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #3 
Kim

You changed the water parameters rapidly by using different water and then just putting him in. The pH, hardness, etc was probably different and it shocked him. He should be fine with a little time, but next time use the same water and acclimate him more slowly. Someone more experienced with uncycled tanks can help you with that procedure better than me.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 
dr2b

I think DQ told me 25% new and 75% old the first week, 50/50 the second week, and 25% old and 75% new the 3rd week.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I got the info from bettatalk.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #6 
Hankbetta

But the tank smelt so bad!! He seems fine now though. That's what I figured it was, was shock. Normally I won't be cleaning the whole tank so soon, it just smelt so bad! The smell has gone away now though, thank you!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #7 
dr2b

Well whenever you do a water change, you need to acclimate him. Let him be in his cup in the water for a while before releasing him, and then add some of the water to that cup - that way he isn't so shocked.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #8 
Hankbetta

I don't have a cup or anything like that... I did that when I still had the other tank.. with that tanks tank water, but I had to get rid of that one. So it was kind of hectic. I got him in a bag... but no longer had it so I didn't think to use a different kind of bag. But yeah, he's all good now.
Back to his normal active, flaring at his own reflection self.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #9 
Kim

In an uncycled tank you do need full water changes but you can still acclimate slowly. Just float his bag in the tank for 10 min to make sure the temp matches, then change out half the water in the bag for the new every 5-10 min (for water that comes from the same source) for 3 times or so. Then release.

I use the same method when I bring new bettas home and my water is quite different from the pet store's water and I have never had a problem. For this instance (water from diff. sources) I change out less water at a time (10% or so) and wait 15 min in between. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half depending on the condition of the betta. In your case this is unnecessary though, I just thought I'd tell you where the procedure comes from ;)

Hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #10 
Hankbetta

Thank you for your help!