Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #21 
dr2b

It's so hard to "diagnose" without a picture. Yellowish/Goldish I would have thought Velvet too. But like fishyinpa said, fuzzy sounds fungal. I am glad he made it through the night though.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #22 
PenninInk

I would, unfortunately every time I try to get a picture with the digital camera, it comes out blurry and unrecognizable. Mom had the same problem before moving Lenny and Prince into a glass tank, so we think it has something to do with the acrylic.

Okay, we went shopping and hit paydirt. After Bianco grew the salt-like coating I'd read about in a few posts here, I figured it might be fungus instead, so we got some Jungle Fungus Clear and some Bettafix, which the (extremely helpful and sweet) guy at PetsMart suggested.

So today we did a complete water change, added in aquarium salts, betta water conditioner, some aquarisol (just in case) and a heater and thermometer before putting Bianco back in his tank. It's been a few hours now, and while Bianco still looks aweful, he's acting like his old self again. With each hour, he seems to gain back more energy. He no longer rests on the bottom, darting up to the surface for air every few seconds. He's started to swim around like he used to.

I'm hoping his scales and fins clear up, but for the first day of treatment, he seems to be responding well. We're keeping the fungus clear tabs for a just in case.

We've decided to hold off on the 10-gal setup, firstly because we want to try to get Bianco healthy before introducing him to a new tank to avoid contamination, and secondly because today we got a new, unexpected, but certainly welcome addition to the family when my mom rescued an abandoned and starving Bearded Dragon female I've been calling Isis.

So, to recap, this week-end we have to:

Continue to medicate, monitor and help Bianco get better
Fatten-up and heal an emaciated Bearded Dragon
Care for all of our other, healthy pets
Prepare for mom's big party this Saturday
Earn a paycheck

Yeah, we're totally not driving ourselves to insanity.
PenninInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Good thing about fish that get ich or velvet: the first time the disease hits it's like a vaccination. Then the fish will very rarely get it. I hope he pulls through!!

Junlge Ich Guard works realy good!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #24 
PenninInk

Sweet!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #25 
PenninInk

Dosing question:

The dosing instructions for the Jungle Fungus Clear are only for tanks 10 gallons and larger. So a single tab is for 10 gallons, with another tab added for each additional ten.

Bianco's tank is only 2 gallons, so how much Fungus Clear should I give him?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

For a 1 gallon dosage, dissolve one tablet in 10 tablespoons of water.Add 1 tablespoon of concentrate mixture to 1 gallon of water. So that would be 2 tablespoons for 2 gallons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #27 
Vikki81207

Yep what DQ said is what I do. I use JFC and I take one tablet and dissolve it in the 10 tablespoons of water, I keep the concentrate mixture in a small mason jar, tightly sealed, so then I can use it later.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #28 
PenninInk

The JFC seems to be starting to work on the fungus, but he seems to have an advancing case of fin rot on his lower fins. He's getting another water change tomorrow, some more BettaFix, and in three more days he gets another dose of JFC.

Here's hoping. And I'll try to get the digital camera to cooperate, so you guys can get a decent look at him.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #29 
PenninInk

He didn't make it. He died around 9:30 this morning.

Thanks for everything, guys, but it seems there was nothing we could do.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Bianco! RIP Bianco.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote