Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 
Mitra

Will this tank work with goldfish?

Hi some of you may already know this from my other threads, but i "rescued" a very overstocked 10 gallon tank. 2 goldfish, 3 neon tetra, a baby pleco and 2 amano shrimp. I have a 40 gallon cycling with a HOB filter and decent sized sponge filter. I know that goldfish are considered coldwater, and tetras and pleco are tropical, but could i make this work? I would put the 2 goldfish, 3 tetras (adding another 6 maybe) the pleco (until it gets too large) and shrimp. What temperature would be the least stressful for all fish? A tad cold for the tetras/pleco or a tad warmer for the goldfish? The pleco and tetras have been through a lot and I really don't want to donate them to the store. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

In my experience, tetras die in unheated tanks. I think they are beautiful, wonderful little fish, but they won't live without heat, and aren't very tolerant at all of lower temps in my experience. I would personally move the goldfish to a different tank. Leave them in the 10 gallon, move everything else to the 40. Add in a female betta. Or ten. ^_^
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 
sandybottom
Reference Team

2 fancy goldfish in a 40 gallon is fully stocked.they get very large.comets,commons and other singletail varities can use a 40 as a grow out tank.a pond is the ideal home for these varities.they can get between 12 to 20 inches and can live 20+years.goldfish are temperate water species.sturgeon and the like are coldwater. the require an aquarium chiller.

Last edited by sandybottom; 09-26-2013 at 02:52 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingthePlunge View Post
In my experience, tetras die in unheated tanks. I think they are beautiful, wonderful little fish, but they won't live without heat, and aren't very tolerant at all of lower temps in my experience.
Depends entirely on the species. Neons, for example, prefer cooler water down into the high 60s.

The term "unheated" doesn't really mean anything, and is certainly not synonymous with cold. In fact, there are many people who are more concerned about their water getting too warm than too cold - they don't heat their tanks and don't have fish die on them. All of my tanks are unheated and have been for years. I had absolutely no trouble keeping the 7-8 species I kept in unheated tanks.... Because they never dropped below 72. I'm not trying to minimize your experience, but rather shine light on the fact that circumstances play a major role in what can and cannot be done.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 
TakingthePlunge

I appreciate the clarification. I did, however, mean "unheated" to refer to a tank that is not warm, ether through the addition of heaters and/or lights, or naturally. Tanks at my parent's house, for example, are often in the 60's because they keep the house entirely too cold. Tanks at my house, however, are at a room temp of about 72-74 year round. I would not necessarily need a heater, but my tanks are warm. The same fishtank at my parents WOULD require a heater.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote