Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 
Mitra

I need to prove to someone that their betta isn't happy in its bowl

I was housesitting for my girldfriend's aunty and I noticed a betta fish. It's in a half litre bowl, with some plastic plants and gravel. I did a water change right away and put in a drop of prime. The fish is usually so docile but it perked up a ton once i cleaned it. He probably wasn't used to not feeling the ammonia. I explained all the science behind why betta's can live in bowls, but they are much more active and happy in more space. I told her I would link her some pages to try and convince her, but oddly enough I can't find any that aren't "8 ways to house a betta" or something.

Anyone know of any good web pages that explain why small bowls are not ideal for a betta? It may help 1 fish's life!

She really likes the look of the bowl, so I need to find a a tank that is aesthetically pleasing too

Last edited by Mitra; 09-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 
whiskandbowl

If she likes the look of a bowl, perhaps a tank like a BiOrb or round GloFish tank might be appealing to her.

-Small bowl= more frequent water changes. Ammonia builds up faster in small tank.
-Small bowls are harder to heat safely.
-Poor living conditions lead to a shorter lifespan
-Small bowls leave little room for bettas to swim, they mostly just hang out
-Larger tanks leave more space to decorate!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

This 2 gallon is sold at most Walmarts and I found it appeals to some people over fish tanks. Have her watch when you let the fish go the joy they show when experiencing all the new room and exploring is wonderful to watch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...h-Lid/16486707
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #4 
Mitra

I will definitely look for the BiOrb and that 2 gallon jar. I think she would like the look of the jar, thanks for the suggestions.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 
javert

For me, the best way to convince someone why bowls are bad is by showing them the alternative: a healthy, active betta in a tank swimming back and forth through all that space, toying with the plants leaves, hiding on spots and decor and the best of all, coming to the front near you (which can easily be told because there is actually enough volume for them to come across some place else) to welcome you when you approach.

The burden will be upon them to explain (especially to themselves) that their betta is living up to its potential in such tiny bowls.
javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 
JustinieBeanie

You mentioned in your post how the betta perked up after something as simple as a water change and a drop of prime, even though it was still in such a small space. I think you should show her just what you noted- how the fish perks up with more frequent water changes and water conditioner, and then how he improves even more once in a several gallon bowl or tank. Just make sure that once in a larger space he has plenty of plants, hides (logs, caves, etc) and other places to hide otherwise a larger open space might make him feel insecure or stressed, prompting the aunt to put him back in the too-small bowl, when really the problem was not "the tank is too big" it was "not enough cover/hiding places in the tank".
You could also try showing her pictures of bettas native habitats, showing her that most wild bettas do not live in "tiny puddles" as many pet stores always tell betta buyers.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I've always like this video of this EE in a really big tank:

http://youtu.be/IEGLRwRZaPY

Poor betta kept in a vase

http://youtu.be/3qohoWdtZeQ

I can't hear the sound on
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote