Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
WhitneyLin

Betta Hammock

So we had a $5 petco reward dollars that was expiring today, so I went and spent it. I got a betta hammock for Ty, since he really loves sitting in the betta log at the top. However I think I remember reading something about a metal piece being in it, and that metal piece was rusting? I've been turning it over and bending it and rubbing it between my fingers, but im not finding any metal. Is there a place I need to cut it out of...or did they fix these and not make metal in them anymore?

I'll post a picture of the brand I bought. Its a Zoo Med brand. (sorry for the bad pic)
Attached Images

WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Apparently there was a metal piece glued to the underside of the leaf at one point that would rust at the base. If you don't feel or see it, they've probably fixed the problem.

From what I understand Zoo Med is pretty committed to customer satisfaction and are very willing to make things right...so I'd bet that they've fixed the issue if you're not feeling anything in there. (Someone on here had an issue with some driftwood, and Zoo Med was very attentive, asked lots of questions, and replaced the product very quickly. Overall the poster was *very* happy with the company and their concern. I've read positive reviews of their products on amazon as well.)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #3 
WhitneyLin

Okay thanks. They must have replaced it. The only place where I thought it could be was down the middle. And that has a harder stem, almost like you would see as a stem in a fake silk plant.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
carrohason

I have one. There is a wire in the leaf for support, but it's really hard to get out (trust me, I did take it out). Leaving it in should be okay, since it's completely covered in plastic.
carrohason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #5 
CrashTeapot

I've bought two in the last month and figured they don't have the wire in them because it wont stay bent. It just feels like solid plastic underneath.
CrashTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #6 
Fishybitty

I might have to check that out, that is pretty rad if they removed the metal.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #7 
WhitneyLin

Ty didnt like it so I took mine out. Im keeping it for when I get a second tank though.

I really dont feel a wire at all. And ive looked it over several times very thoroughly. Im actually kind of tempted to cut it open and find out for sure. Cause if theres a wire in there yet, they are the best ever at hiding it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 
kaycejonesgrl

I got one recently and it doesn't have any metal but my guy doesn't seem to like it. Do any of you have ones that actually use it? Mine was setting on top of my thermometers so I put it there now he doesn't use it and isn't setting there anymore. Wondering if I should remove it or just give him time to become accustomed to it.
kaycejonesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #9 
cbarger94

They changed them so they don't have metal wires anymore. My betta loves his! I put mine at the corner of the tank so that he has the wall on one side, he likes it there. He won't use it if both sides are open. Try feeding your betta over it a few times, he may not realize what it's for yet. Also my guy is finicky and will only use it if it's exactly the certain distance below the water line he likes so play around with that as well.
cbarger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #10 
fidget

Digger only likes it when I put it in a corner and really close to the top of the water. If it's too low he won't sleep on it. I think the corner makes him feel more secure.

Ha! I somehow managed to miss the post right above mine. Derp. Exactly what you said cbarger!
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote