Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #1 
Amndpu

My decor is floating!

How do I fix this? I really don't want to use gravel. It's such a pain to clean. My hideaway for Aqua is floating. I didn't realize when buying it that it is hollow and water is getting it through the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas for me? How can I weigh it down? Thank you for any help!
Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #2 
redthebetta

Is there air bubbles in the ornament?
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Is it meant for aquariums?

I've got a statue that has a hole in the bottom, and I have to let the tank water fill it up before it will sink. I just hold it in the tank on it's side, completely submerged, and allow the water to fill it, then just put it where you want it. At that point it shouldn't float anymore. I think Red is right in that it's got air bubbles in it that are causing it to float. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 
Amndpu

It is made for an aquarium. I had it submerged and it still floated. I will trying moving it around to see if air bubbles come out.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I can't get mine to fill with water unless I hold it so that it's on its side. That allows the bubbles to dissipate and the water to flow in.

If all else fails, you could fill it with glass marbles or clean rocks put into the hole. You'll probably need to take some masking tape to cover the hole after that, and be careful when you put it back into the tank that they don't fall through, but that would probably work. The masking tape isn't going to hurt your fish, and it'll hold long enough just to get the ornament down to where it's sitting on the bottom of the tank.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 
marshallsea

Is it supposed to float? Bettas go to the top to breath and some logs float so the fish is at the top.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #7 
Amndpu

Yep that worked. I moved it around and tipped it to get the air out. It's times like these that I really hate "pregnancy brain." Tha is again everyone :)

One more thing I just got a 10 gal tank today which is what the hideaway is for. I've read a lot about a filter being too hard on a Betta. How will I know I know if the current is too fast? I'm using the filter that came with the tank. It's a 10/20 gal internal power filter made by Grreat Choice. Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by Amndpu; 09-21-2013 at 10:31 PM.