Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 
KateAndSparky

Sparky still isn't eating?

So, I got Sparky on Monday and put him and he has been in his new home since late Monday night. I have tried to feed him every day since I got him and he hasn't shown any interest whatsoever. Aside from that, he seems to have acclimated quite well. He is very active and appears healthy. I have read this can be normal but I want to know when I should start being worried.

He is currently in a 1 gal tank with a filter, and it is about 82 degrees. Yesterday I vacuumed his tank to get rid of the food he didn't eat. I have tried feeding him Aqueon Betta Food and Betta BioGold, and I plan to try some freeze-dried bloodworms tomorrow.
KateAndSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 
Amndpu

I'm sorry I don't really know Betta fish too well. I'm still learning myself. I hope someone more experienced can help you out and that your Betta starts eating soon. Good luck!
Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #3 
KateAndSparky

Thank you for the concern.

EDIT I got him on Wednesday, not Monday.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
Jennifer Vazquez

Where did you get him? Maybe they were feeding him a certain brand of food and is picky. I have heard other peeps on this forum say that it's normal if they don't eat at first. I would keep trying or call the petstore/breeder you got him from and ask what brand of food they were feeding him. When I first got my bettas from aqaubid they would eat blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and flakes. It took 2 weeks of my offering pellets before they would eat them.
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #5 
bluefishy75

I just got a new guy on Wednesday who has eaten maybe 5 pellets since I brought him home. I just picked up some Omega One flakes and some frozen brine shrimp to see if I can convince him to eat something. I'm trying very hard not to worry about him too much yet!
bluefishy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #6 
puplove52

does his belly look unusually round? if so, he may constipated. Feed him a defrosted pea! Cut it in small pieces, it will fall to the bottom. But when the betta explores his bowl, he'll find it and eat it. It worked for me!
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7 
KateAndSparky

Exclamation Help!!!

UPDATE: Not good. It has been over two weeks now and Sparky still hasn't had a nibble of food. He does not look round. He shows no signs of illness. He is quite active and seems to take interest when I drop his pellets in, but then he just swims away...

Yesterday I put him in his new tank, a 3 gallon, so maybe he has become stressed out again from the move?

I am using BioGold pellets. I was hesitant to give him brine worms because I'm worried that he will only want those, but I gave in and tried some today, and still nothing.

Help!!

Last edited by KateAndSparky; 10-03-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #8 
kefinlin

What are you water test results?

Perhaps he is a very picky eater... maybe you could try frozen bloodworms (not freeze-dried)?
kefinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #9 
KateAndSparky

I don't have a test kit. It could be that, but would he really hold out for 16 days to get his way? Stubborn fish haha. I doubt they fed him anything expensive at Petco... :\ I guess I don't have a choice other than to try everything.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Wait a little longer and keep offering. If he is active and show no sign of the disease then may be he still taking his time to adjust. Did you acclimate him to the new tank. How much water you doing for 3 gall tank. You really don't need the filter for 3 gall its really better to do just regular water changes. I would not recommend to cycle 3 gall especially if you don't have a testing kit. Just do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes, but acclimate him when you do full water change.
Keep offering food. I had one stubborn betta that took me 2wks when he start eating. Try may be also crashed pellets.
Let us know when he will eat.
Also the best recommended pellets are
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...FctQOgodtV0AVg
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote