Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
anw525

How Does My Baby Look?

I just got him on 9/11. I named him Twin.
He's from petco, he's just a baby. I was wondering how he looked?
Does he look healthy?
How old does he look also?
And how are you to tell if he is a boy or a girl? Because I've just been calling him a he as you can tell.

Please tell me if I need to do anything special for him. People told me that they were hard to keep alive after a week, but I haven't had any troubles with him yet. He's very active, he loves swimming around in his plastic critter carrier.

I was wondering if I was starving him though. Because he seems to act so hungry when I feed him. I give him a couple flakes in the morning and a couple before I go to bed.
His stomach is obviously small, I didn't think he would be able to eat much. But he acts so hungry all the time. I put my finger on the side of the cage and he tries to nibble it through the plastic.
anw525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 
Jennifer Vazquez

IMO he looks healthy no fin rot, or ick, or ammonia burns. I really like that color green that's coming in. I'd love to see pics when he/she is older also. Also I have a smaller female that only eats frozen brine shrimp and flakes. The pellets I have are to big for her, she tried to eat them but can't fit them in her mouth. If you are worried about him/her eating add some frozen brine shrimp so she/he has a little more nutrients. also I think two flakes might be too little. I usually feed my small female a tiny pinch of flakes twice a day. tiny like maybe 4 or five flakes, however flakes are hard to count.
Good luck you have a beautiful Betta. Congrats
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 
anw525

Do you know where I can buy him frozen brine shrimp?
anw525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
Jennifer Vazquez

Any pet store that sells fish should have it. Petco, Petsmart, Pet supplies plus.
They usually have some kind of freezer/fridge near the fish with frozen foods. They come in a package and are little squares kinda like a Ice cube tray. I have also seen them in a flat plastic bag, but the bag is harder to work with/thaw than the cubes.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #5 
blufish425

I believe that he is actually a she, but its hard to be 100% certain when they are so little
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #6 
Jennifer Vazquez

I agree it's hard to tell on baby's. However the ventrals are really long, and most females I have seen have shorter ventrals. can you get him/her to flare. If so then you can check for a beard. If it has a beard under his gills then it's a boy.

Tags
baby, baby betta, betta, cute, picture