Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #1 
javert

Several apple snail questions

I bought an snail about two months ago. After some initial doubts, the snail wandered freely in the tank. Issue is, I read they weren't hermaphrodite, so mine wouldn't have been able to spawn, but after a while I noted several "spots" that I initially took for incrustrations until there were a lot of them, they moved and I noted tiny gray shells scattered on plants and other surfaces. I have even seen red clusters of eggs hanging from the snail. Is it possible for the snail to be a female which was fertilized before I bought it? Are snails capable of both sexual and asexual reproduction or what I bought simply isn't an apple snail? It has thrived and it is has even grown.

I wouldn't bother by this but my betta Memín got bloated on the stomach (no dropsy, as there weren't pinecone scales) along time and finally passed away after being unable to swim properly in his last days. What is thrilling me is the possibility he may have eaten some baby snails and succumbed unable to digest the shells. I doubt it, because he had rejected pellets that were too hard for his taste and the infamous blackworms people have reported (which I never fed to him) at least must feel soft enough for bettas to be confident enough to swallow.

Have any of you had issues regarding apple snails with your bettas? Is it normal for apple snails to reproduce a lot without a partner? I want to know since I'm probably purchasing another betta in the future and if necessary I will dump the snail and get rid of all of his spawn.
javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #2 
808bettalover

no the apple snails should not reproduce without a mate and can you post a pic of the snail so that i can tell weather it is an apple snail or not
808bettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by javert View Post
I bought an snail about two months ago. After some initial doubts, the snail wandered freely in the tank. Issue is, I read they weren't hermaphrodite, so mine wouldn't have been able to spawn, but after a while I noted several "spots" that I initially took for incrustrations until there were a lot of them, they moved and I noted tiny gray shells scattered on plants and other surfaces. I have even seen red clusters of eggs hanging from the snail. Is it possible for the snail to be a female which was fertilized before I bought it? Are snails capable of both sexual and asexual reproduction or what I bought simply isn't an apple snail? It has thrived and it is has even grown.

I wouldn't bother by this but my betta Memín got bloated on the stomach (no dropsy, as there weren't pinecone scales) along time and finally passed away after being unable to swim properly in his last days. What is thrilling me is the possibility he may have eaten some baby snails and succumbed unable to digest the shells. I doubt it, because he had rejected pellets that were too hard for his taste and the infamous blackworms people have reported (which I never fed to him) at least must feel soft enough for bettas to be confident enough to swallow.

Have any of you had issues regarding apple snails with your bettas? Is it normal for apple snails to reproduce a lot without a partner? I want to know since I'm probably purchasing another betta in the future and if necessary I will dump the snail and get rid of all of his spawn.
Apple snails need a partner to breed but the female can store sperm and lay eggs later. But they don't lay eggs in the water. They will climb just above the water line and lay an egg clutch with 100-300 eggs. It will be a light gold color 1-2'' long. If you don't want them just wait a few days for the clutch to harden and pop it off.
As for eating snail babies and not being able to digest them, I don't know . But I think in the wild if a betta ate small snails it could digest them.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-22-2013 at 09:32 AM.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 
peachii

http://applesnail.net/

As stated apple snails don't lay eggs in water. If the eggs go underwater before they are done hatching then the egg sack will drown, killing the eggs. If you are seeing eggs you most likely have pond snails or ramshorns which hitchhiked in on any live plants you have in your tank. Apple snail eggs are easy to see and get rid of, as its just a huge clutch of eggs above the water line, just scrape it off and throw it away if you ever see one but with just one snail you shouldn't have an issue.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote