Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #1 
MyBettaJack

Arrow Worried Newbie! Hazy water during cycling.....

Is it normal for water to look slightly hazy on day 4 of the (in-fish) cycling process? I have a new 5 gallon tank with a filter, heater, an inch of gravel, a sunken treasure chest to swim through, and silk plants. I've been using Nutrafin Cycle, Betta bowl dechlorinator/conditioner, and testing with API 5-1 test strips. Also doing recommended water changes. So far so good.
The water is a LITTLE hazy, not much, kind of like when you're driving down the road, and there's a tiny bit of fog [mist] in the air... Only, in a tank.
He's definitely not being overfed, and is acting very happy and healthy. Is it normal, or is it something to worry about?
Jack is the first fish I've ever had, so all of this is new to me! I'm trying not to overthink everything, but I'll feel awful if I kill him with a preventable mistake!
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

as long as your test results are fine I wouldn't worry if the water is a little hazy and it is part of the cycling process, if the fish is fine and happy I would leave alone and just continue doing what you are doing and eventually the water will clear up and be cycled. :)
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #3 
MyBettaJack

I just did a 50% water change, and water is still hazy. I added Nutrafin Cycle, could that be the problem?
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 
beautiful Betta

its possible if that's kick starting the cycling, but hazy water is better than toxic water, if your ammonia, nitrite levels are 0 perhaps try doing a 50% water change and don't add the nutrafin cycle, test water next morning if all ok leave be and test again in the evening. your tanks own filter will deal with it eventually, but you will have to check regularly to catch a peak should it peak, I advise checking morning and evening.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nutrafin cycle does not contain the bacteria that performs the nitrogen cycle. It does eat ammonia, but does not attach to the tank and procreate. That's why you have to continually dose it. Any biochemical reaction in your tank may cause a hazy "bacterial bloom" which is not harmful. Change it out, if it annoys you esthetically.

Other threads have recommended you and any serious keeper have a liquid test and know how to use it. They last years and, besides being more accurate, are ultimately cheaper than strips.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379936221&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #6 
grammymary

I was just going to make the suggestion that Hallyx made to get a API liquid test kit. They're much more accurate & maybe your test results aren't as accurate as the strips are telling you. May be worth a try?
grammymary is offline   Reply With Quote