Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #1 
Skuldane

Feeling Old

So I get home this morning (Approx 3am) and come straight to the computer with a Bavarian Cream doughnut and coffee in hand to check the Betta Forums. I used to come home hop on and play games or watch anime. I know in reality I am not so terribly old, but something about the idea of getting online to discuss fish makes me feel that way. Especially with all my judgmental friends giving me a hard time with my fish obsession. Maybe I am young for this hobby typically speaking? Hehe, anyways now I am off to further prep and plan for my breeding scheme. Feel free to comment and let me know your feelings, or if you are young or old alike and feel this hobby makes you feel old =P.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #2 
bambijarvis

I get the same judgement from my friends/boyfriend. xD
Doesn't help I have what my boyfriend calls a "grandma purse" with a bunch of pocket, I'm big on organization.

I get on during slow points in my gaming or, like now,when I'm somewhere where the internet is too slow to run my games properly.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #3 
SeaKnight

Although I am still "young" there are times I feel old, but it's not because of the fish hobby, it's more because I see my lifelong friends' and my Cousins' Children beginning to "come of age". I am one of few from my "cliche"/family who waited till after the age of 20 to have kids...... So here I sit not even 40 and I am watching my "family's" children beginning to turn anywhere from 16-21....
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feel old because my mother is 80 years old, people my age have grandchildren and I just turned 52.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 
thekinetic

It takes patience and discipline to care for fish. Unlike many other pets that are interactive, you cannot play with fish. So it takes a calm and focused mind to observe and be satisfied to obeserve.

You are not old but like many here simply have a matured mind. :)
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 
Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
Although I am still "young" there are times I feel old, but it's not because of the fish hobby, it's more because I see my lifelong friends' and my Cousins' Children beginning to "come of age". I am one of few from my "cliche"/family who waited till after the age of 20 to have kids...... So here I sit not even 40 and I am watching my "family's" children beginning to turn anywhere from 16-21....
I agree with you here, although I am quite a bit younger. I will be 24 this week and most of my family thinks I'm nuts for not wanting to go out on dates, party, etc., and constantly berate me for my choice in hobbies. Whether its anime, my choice of fashion, or my betta hobby, its a waste of money. My three cousins (by which my family measures perfection) are married, engaged, and with a long time boyfriend, respectively.

Sometimes my introvertedness and tendency to be different from the norm make me feel old, but that is mainly because I have very few friends in real life with which to share my hobbies. I'm very lucky that my mom is allowing me to stay with her through school and that she puts up with my betta addiction.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #7 
tilli94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
I agree with you here, although I am quite a bit younger. I will be 24 this week and most of my family thinks I'm nuts for not wanting to go out on dates, party, etc., and constantly berate me for my choice in hobbies. Whether its anime, my choice of fashion, or my betta hobby, its a waste of money. My three cousins (by which my family measures perfection) are married, engaged, and with a long time boyfriend, respectively.

Sometimes my introvertedness and tendency to be different from the norm make me feel old, but that is mainly because I have very few friends in real life with which to share my hobbies. I'm very lucky that my mom is allowing me to stay with her through school and that she puts up with my betta addiction.
I'm in the exact same boat. It doesn't help that the area I came from has all of 8 people who like to read books instead of smoke weed, the majority of which are over 50. Every time I talk to my dad he asks me if I've made any friends yet and if I'm still doing the "fish thing." Not to mention "am I sure I'm not gay?" You know since I'm not married and/or pregnant at 19. With my siblings and mom it's much more of a "why do you waste your time on Fish?!" Simple answer there folks, you're a prime example of why I don't relate to humans! So I sit in my room and read or watch my fish, which yeah makes me feel really old :/
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your 19 and not pregnant or married? OMG lol jk That's ridiculous. I hate it when people think your gay because you aren't married.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 
Skuldane

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
It takes patience and discipline to care for fish. Unlike many other pets that are interactive, you cannot play with fish. So it takes a calm and focused mind to observe and be satisfied to obeserve.

You are not old but like many here simply have a matured mind. :)
A compliment on the Internet, I will cherish this haha. I kinda play with my betta, he recognizes me and swims on my side of the desk when I'm on the computer. I think he watches me 0.0
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

I was okay until the kids I used to babysit for and I helped to potty train graduated from college. Ouch.
Then I rationalized that away. ;)

Then I was okay until all my friends/classmates got married. Then I was able to rationalize that away as well.

Then they all had kids. Ouch. That one hurt. When you realize that when your parents were this age you were TEN...that hurts. ;) You don't think about these thing until everyone you know suddenly starts procreating. ;)
Then I just ignored those awful thoughts. ;)

Then...then my cousin got married and had two kids. And I can remember when she was BORN...Oh...oh...when people you watched grow up have kids...that one just doesn't go away. ;)

Just wait, at some point, being on the fish board will feel normal. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote