Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #1 
krnicole

Exclamation My rescued betta Moe needs help!

I decided to rescue this particular betta from the pet shop, he was the only one left and no one wanted him..so..I took him home. I've got other kinds of fish, but this is my first betta. I know he's sick from the way he acts - I thought it was swim bladder because he stays at the bottom and he'll occasionally float but doesn't swim and is not active. However, upon closer examination, I find that on one side of him he's got a white spot and some kind of growth(?) on his underbelly. He could also have a very mild case of fin rot because there are a couple little pinholes in his fins. Also, he hasn't eaten anything since I brought him home - I tried a bit of flake food and a piece of thawed pea, but he doesn't want it.

Right now, I've got him alone in a cycled 2.5 gallon tank with filtration, mini heater, and air pump. I've also added some salt.

Poor Moe..What do you think I should do???
krnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #2 
ifish

the pic holes are part of fin rot and i would get some betta fix and try a salt bath and the white is probly ich
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #3 
dr2b

Welcome to FishForum!! I'd do salt baths (with aquarium salt or epsom salt - NOT table salt) and get some Jungle Fungus Eliminator for the white stuff. Also, I wouldn't feed him peas. Peas are bad for their digestive tract since they are carnivores. Bettas usually like pellets and bloodworms or brine shrimp. Some good pellet brands are Hikari bio-gold and Wardleys.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #4 
Kim

Jungle fungus clear will take care of fungus as well as bacterial fin rot. I've had great luck with it and would recommend it to you.

BTW welcome to Fishforum and great job on the rescue :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #5 
krnicole

Unhappy Thanks everyone, but..

Thanks for the advice everyone.. However, despite my best effort, Moe didn't make it. The sickness, whatever it was, seemed to have spread super fast, as I only had him a short time and by the time I got the meds, it was too late I feel bad but I couldn't get him to eat anything since I got him and I think he was just too sick from the start..
krnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry that Moe didn't make it. He was a lucky fish to have someone to care so much about him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #7 
Scienceluvr8

At least his last days were spent in a better place. I'm sorry for your loss, it was a good thing you tried to help him though.
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote